What is heavy lifting?

Options
ddiestler
ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
Ok, I'm not very bright when it comes to lifting. What is heavy lifting? I would love to incorporate lifting a couple days a week to tone and some muscle. I am still on my weight loss journey. My gym has some circuit weights is that what it is?

I don't know much about weights..thanks

Replies

• emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    It depends really because everybody's different. I just usually test them out by doing reps of 10 or until I can really feel it, and I bump up the weight until it actually becomes hard work, because that's mean I'm getting a decent use of it. But I'm not an expert. :)

Edit: I'm not even sure if what I said is relevant, considering I only use machines in the gym and a couple of hand weights... but hey, worth a shot I guess!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is what is heavy to you, lift to muscle exertion. If you can do 3 sets of 15 reps then it is probably too light and you need to increase the weight (just as an example).
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If it is possible get the book New Rules of Lifting for women. It gives a 6mo program not only to lifting free weights but heavy as well.

Circuit training is not most efficient because the machines are geared to specific muscles and also isn't the natural flow of how our bodies move. So your missng out because it is specific to a muscle and with free weights you use the primary muscle but other muscles as well...stabilizer muscles.