Do you do a bulk/cut cycle?

Options
amsparky
amsparky Posts: 825 Member
Hi all!

I'm wondering if you do a bulk cut cycle with NR? I'm trying to think ahead and since I haven't been able to eat at maintenance, was thinking it might make more sense to eat close to TDEE and lift heavy to cut fat, then worry about adding more muscle.

I have a BodyMedia Fit now and am burning between 22-2400 cals a day and am just not eating that much. I still get between 18-2000 on most days.

Do any of you do this? If so, do you run through the program eating maintenance, then do it again with a deficit? Do you do another program?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! :)

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've got enough LBM to worry about (I'm a fatty) so I don't need to bulk, just cut, cut, cut, cut. Eventually once I get closer to my goal I'm going to do bulk and cut cycles to work towards the type of musculature I want (god willing, since this cut doesn't seem to be working very well).

I don't think at that point I'll be following NROL4W, though. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i did several years ago as an athlete because i needed to simultaneously gain weight, speed and strength for the position i played.

the thing is with a bulk cycle, you will also be adding fat. this is why there's a cut phase after the bulk. the ratio of how much fat to muscle you gain during your bulk will depend on your genetics..

i think once i reach my goal weight i might do a bulk and cut, but i honestly dont think nrol4w is the best program for gaining muscle - at least not for me. there too many exercises in stages past stage 1 that arent conducive to significant increases in weights (ie any of the balancing movements). so if i were to bulk, it would either be with a program like strong lifts or better still a program where you work more of the isolated muscles so that you can get some hypertrophy..

oh yeah another to decide if the length of your bulk phase. the longer you do it, the more fat you will need to cut. if you're predominantly a body that finds it hard to cut fat (ie endomorph) then you definitely dont want to get too crazy too long in the bulk phase
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback! I'm not married to NR, so if it isn't what will get me to my goals, I'll find something else. I don't like the idea of adding fat, so maybe I'll just continue to work at small deficits and see if it gives me the physique I want...assuming its possible. I've been hanging around the same 4# margin since Xmas, but since I'm eating more I'll take that as a victory.