How do you measure body fat percentage?

Options
pinkita
pinkita Posts: 779 Member
Hi all,

Just wondering how you measure body fat percentage? I have a scale that displays body fat percentage--not sure how accurate that is. Does anyone use calipers?

Thanks!

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My scale is inaccurate, I'm always 36% fat....lol. I bought a hand held device and that one says 23% so that seems more realistic.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I had mine professionally tested with Calipers when they tested my RMR.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My scale is inaccurate, I'm always 36% fat....lol. I bought a hand held device and that one says 23% so that seems more realistic.
    '
    Yeah, 23% sounds a lot more accurate for you :) Which one do you have/reccomend?
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I had a dexa scan for mine....my at home ones vary between 34-38% but dexa scan told me 27.6%
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've gone with the DEXA... but my home scale one isn't too far off. It actually puts it a little less than the DEXA, but at least I can watch the trending downward :)
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use a handheld one at Curves, it seems to be pretty accurate.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I use a hand held one and of course it isn't perfect but I also put my measurements into fat2fit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/ this is the covert baily calculator and is more accurate for women. I do believe it was like 2-3% lower than the calibers though. I think the best thing to do is average out a couple tools.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Just wondering how you measure body fat percentage? I have a scale that displays body fat percentage--not sure how accurate that is. Does anyone use calipers?

Thanks!

The easiest way is the measurements on this sitehttp://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ go with the military body fat calculator. Calipers are good if you are lean and or close to goal weight(and done by a very experienced tester), if you are really overweight then they are not advised (per the personal trainer that does bodyfat testing at my gym). The weight scales that test bodyfat are the worst. Mine changes everytime I jump on it and I never use it for bodyfat. There is the bodpod that I heard some gyms can do and it is pretty accurate I have heard. Just realize these are all not perfect or exact.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!

The easiest way is the measurements on this sitehttp://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ go with the military body fat calculator. Calipers are good if you are lean and or close to goal weight(and done by a very experienced tester), if you are really overweight then they are not advised (per the personal trainer that does bodyfat testing at my gym). The weight scales that test bodyfat are the worst. Mine changes everytime I jump on it and I never use it for bodyfat. There is the bodpod that I heard some gyms can do and it is pretty accurate I have heard. Just realize these are all not perfect or exact.

I just did both their military body fat calculator and their original body fat calculator. I got 36.6% with the military one and 27% with the original one. My DEXA from last month showed 33%, and given my weight loss since then, it should be about 31% now... so right in between both. Just FYI.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My scale always says 34-36% no matter how much I work out, how many inches I lose or how many pounds I lose.

I did a handheld one at the gym that at that time said 32%. I have lost several inches and a few pounds since so will check again soon.

At the time I did the handheld one I did the military one on fat2fit and it said 27% and the other one said 18% (no way).

I figured the real number is probably around 30%?

I wish I hadn't bought the dumb scale. It is discouraging to look at that bf number every time I weigh and not really see any change.