reduced fat versus whole fat

Options
I have searched everywhere and can't find out if reduced fat foods are considered clean foods? I am assuming they are not because of processing to lower the fat but many recipes seem to call for reduced fat products.

I spending this month learning about clean eating then dedicating my summer to making the change. Any information is appreciated.

Replies

• Blonde_Lou
    Blonde_Lou Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm slowly starting to clean up my diet and have found the same thing. I use an all organic home delivery company for my food shopping and other than milk and yogurt there are no fat free / reduced fat foods. I assume this is because this would mean processing them, as you say, so I've come to the conclusion that it's better to have a little of the full fat clean version than a lot of the low fat processed version.
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Interesting question...for me, it's a trade off between calories and the impacts of processing. Personally, as I am trying to lose weight, I sway more towards controlling calories at this point so for milk and yoghurt I am buying low fat (but not for cheese). However, in the future, I will probably switch to full fat milk. if I could get my hands on unpasteurised milk that would be awesome, but is only likely to happen if I buy myself a milking cow (NOT!).
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would think if you buy organic you would be better of than non-organic on this one. But even organic pre-packaged food is minimally processed and the best thing is to eat only local/fresh/organic.
    However that being said I still eat organic crackers and stuff so if you could switch to that I think it would go a long way.
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Low fat and fat free are not considered clean. Things have to be added to them to make them that way and a lot of times it's some sort of sugar or chemical. Try to go full fat when possible, but as with all clean eating, always read the label. That's where you can be sure you are getting a clean item.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Agreed....I developed some of my own beliefs about 'clean eating' and I prefer as minimally processed as possible for ex I like half and half in coffee but the low fat version have all kinds of big words in it...so I choose full organic just use less.
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think they are considered clean. Everything you read and including Dr. Oz says get rid of anything that is processed. You are better off with a small amount of the real deal. He also includes artificial sweeteners in this. He says artificial sweeteners actually cause you to feel hungry. I found that true with me, especially when in yogurt, I'm starving 30 minutes later.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I also find that I am more satisfied with a small amount of the real deal. I do eat 2% greek yogurt instead of whole... but other than that I am usually a whole dairy type girl. Occasionally I use Hellman's with Olive Oil, although I have bought spectrum organics canola mayo (it's hard to accept the calories, I'm working on it!)
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn more about eating clean too, BUT I have a friend who was having a hard time losing those last few pounds...until she decided to go clean . She started buying raw milk and dairy and makes everything from scratch (she even hand grinds her own wheat). She went from eating fat free and low fat foods to eating the way they are found in nature (full fat). Low and behold she lost those last few lbs without dieting, just by eating naturally. Our body just processes things in their natural form better :)
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do buy raw milk and cheese from a farm, and all of our meat is from the farm, too (DELICIOUS). It's just the mayo I have a hang up about... Incidentally, this time, losing weight has been easier, and I have not gone hungry at all.
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider them "clean". Most times, when the fat is reduced, its replaced by sugar. I'll take the fat over sugar, personally. But I'm of the "fat is not the enemy" group. I also think that clean eating is more about eating whole foods. The less ingredients, the better.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I learned recently that low fat foods are often filled with fillers to make them 'thick' like low fat salad dressing.

They get goopy in the fridge--do you know what I mean?

Anyway...I guess our bodies prefer the full fat dressing (in moderation) because it helps us to absorb the salad's nutrients.