I'm a grazer - think this will help?

Options
kvsmith59
kvsmith59 Posts: 26 Member
Hi,

I am a grazer...I like to snack all day long and sometimes late at night. So, in order to get my bs down, I'm thinking of making some substitutions....specifically I'm looking at eating pork rinds, beef jerky, and popcorn, instead of chips and other garbage. Anyone else doing this and has it helped?

Also, if eating pork rinds, anyone have a favorite brand/type? I've eaten them before but got bored with them. I think part of my attraction to chips is the "crunch" factor. The pork rinds will take care of that hopefully.

Thanks,

Kevin

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am a grazer too. But I do try to avoid eating in the evenings because I end up with heartburn in the middle of the night. Thats a good motivator right there. :bigsmile:

I like cheese as a snack with Triscuit crackers...in moderation, of course. I also snack on Slim Jims sometimes. I used to LOVE Pelican jerky but they changed the recipe and ever since then, BLECH. Its a shame because I really enjoyed it. YMMV. I dont do popcorn....there are other snacks you can get more enjoyment out of for the amount of popcorn you can eat. I know a lot of people here eat the pork rinds but I have never tried them as they dont appeal to me.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Since I pretty much can't eat anything starchy I can't do popcorn. I know some people can because of the fiber. I'm not a big pork rind eater but once in a while need that crunch. They are very filling so you don't need many. I tend to eat almonds to fulfill my snack needs. You can get raw, chocolate (they aren't dipped they are coated with cocoa), salty, smoky, wasabi etc. An ounce is filling and has good fat. The carbs aren't too bad.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find a beef jerky with under 6 g carbs, so I'd rather have almonds for the same carb count. The cocoa almonds (Emerald) are DELICIOUS! Wasabi (Emerald) and habanero (Blue Diamond) are also really good.

Pork rinds - I get mine from Aldi's. I like the flavored ones - don't like the plain. Usually, I'll crush some up and use on my salad in place of croutons.

Popcorn - I prefer a tub-o-popcorn and can't eat that much, so I don't eat it at all.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't do pork rinds at all (nasty) and very rarely do popcorn (find it hard to stop at an amount that won't send my glucose higher than I like). Almonds or pistachios are usually my go to items. If I really have a craving for chips, I've found that a serving of the chili pepper flavored Triscuit Thin Crisps work well to satisfy me.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I like lowfat string cheese. I also get baked cheese (called just the cheese). I keep 6 different flavors of high fiber protein bars in the house too. I also love jiff to go with celery or carrots, or the snack sized cottage cheese cups with probiotics. Love the emeralds nuts! My protein bars, cheese, and high protein meat snacks(ostrich) i order from netrition.com, and i usually get it in a day or two. Love that site.