Thermogenic burners?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
Has anyone taken fat burners to make sure they didn't gain as they increased calories?

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Has anyone taken fat burners to make sure they didn't gain as they increased calories?

I have taken them in the past and didn't like em. They are basically caffein in a pill. I would not recommend them as you don't need them to lose, just eat a deficit and exercise.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    They make me twitchy.
  • shakybabe
    Options

I have taken them in the past and didn't like em. They are basically caffein in a pill. I would not recommend them as you don't need them to lose, just eat a deficit and exercise.

I thought this group was about eating MORE to lose weight? I've been eating at a deficit for a year and have stalled.. no weight loss but only 3lb off goal and goal date is 6th June. I've been told to up my calories but that would mean I'd gain and there's no way I'd make the goal date in just over 2 weeks.

Looking at other posts several others get anxious about having to eat more and up calories so thought someone might have tried them to see if they could eat more and still lose without initially gaining weight when they upped calories?
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hello my friend~ nice to see you here and your amazing weight loss!! Your determination is truly an inspiration to everyone and you are proof positive that ANYONE get in shape and lose weight!!

The followers of the Eat More to Weigh Less theory are people who have used Low Calorie Dieting (1200 cals or less, or eating under your BMR) for extended periods of time or multiple times over years and have damaged metabolisms and who may actually be malnourished by the severe calorie restriction.

We have lost WEIGHT doing this but that WEIGHT or NUMBER ON THE SCALE isn't just FAT LOSS~ it's LEAN MUSCLE too!!
    When we lose LEAN MUSCLE we also lose our ability to SUSTAIN OUR BELOVED WEIGHT LOSS and we GAIN WEIGHT AND MORE FAT the minute we eat above our Low Calorie setpoint. All of this leads to the YoYo dieting cycle that a lot of us have been on our whole lives and the damaged metabolism and malnourishment that goes with it.

You may feel that I'm being dramatic by using the term "malnourished" to describe us but it is the accurate word for what we do to ourselves. I would have NEVER said it about myself until after just a few days of Eating More, I was taking a shower and noticed that I had NO strands of hair in my hand after washing my hair!! For YEARS, I'd have a LOT of hair loss in the shower and I was just certain that I had a THYROID problem. Blood test after blood test came back fine.

It took EATING MORE to make me realize what I was doing to my body!

To make a long story short, this Eating Style is NOT necessarily geared for dramatic WEIGHT LOSS~ if you want that, stay where you are.
    This is all about GAINING MUSCLE, LOSING FAT, measuring success by a TAPE MEASURE AND SMALLER CLOTHES, NOT A SCALE NUMBER!
    To achieve this, you will probably GAIN SCALE WEIGHT in the beginning~ of course, if you STAY OFF THE SCALE you won't have to worry yourself about that! You will have to be PATIENT and WAIT for your body to HEAL ITSELF. This may take up to 10, yes TEN WEEKS!
    But I guarantee you if you go through the process, you will be SMALLER when you hit that all important Goal Weight than what you would be if you used a Low Calorie method.

I don't think you're going to find too many people on this board using Fat Burners sicne they are just ANOTHER thing that damages our metabolism and slows down our body's healing.

I believe the person who told you to eat at a deficit meant your TDEE- 15% which is what just about everyone here uses.
    As an example, mine is 1825 (my TDEE is 2148 -15%)~ pretty shocking when you consider that I've eaten UNDER 1000 cals for weeks at a time and NETTED in the NEGATIVE numbers!!!
    Yeah, I think that'll make ya lose some hair!!

So, I hope you decide to stay here and hang out with us in the Garden of Eatin'!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Laughing at "Garden of eatin' " Love it!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    lol!.. at Garden of Eating too!

I didn't know I was undereating as problem is I've no idea what my TDEE is!

I think you know my story Rosie but for those who don't I also have under active thyroid and Ataxia. I've lost weight succesfully in past from 16st to 11st 7 very slowly,, then gained a stone. I started trying to lose that seriously last year when relaised I was 12 st 7 on my last birthday after been weighed at an hospital appointment.

My problem is I couldn't exercise much at first 20 mins on Wii was a challenge for me. I got a passive trainer bike (motorised pedals) last year that moves legs for me and suddenly I could burn more in 30 mins on that than was doing on wii fit. It made my legs shake bad at first they didnt stop for up to 10 mins after coming off bike which was burning loads and I was using Capsiplex to give me energy to exercise for a few hours a day instead of just 15-20 mins.

It did make me fitter, when I finished bottle I found I could do an hour without them and not only that my muscle spasms were decreasing, my back pain improved as the weight came off, I could sit in chair longer without having to go lie down every hour or so to stop back muscles going into spasms.

The problem has been I never really was sure what my TDEE was so stuck to 1200 cals but burning at least 600 on bike some days up to 1,000. Maths has never been my strong point I'm the equivalent to dyslexic when it comes to Maths so I never got the negative calorie thing or relaised that if I ate 1050 cals at Pizza Hut then burned them all off it wasn't a spike day! As I get involuntary movement and intention tremor when trying to do anything even typing, I'm sure I must be burning higher than average now than the number given for a person sitting all day?

I'm got into bad habit of when I want something higher cal I'll get on bike straight after or even whilst eating it, if its just a bar of chocolate and burn it off so it doesn't count. You'd think the weight would be dropping off me I can't understand why its stalled to be honest given the cals I must burn moving around and considering how much I eat.

Last month I didn't lose anything except 1 lb after getting sickness and the runs one day (dodgy chicken!) I can only conclude I'm too far into negative cals and my body is hanging onto the weight? I'm not a bad weight now but just want to drop these last 3lbs int time for my birthday goal as it will be a real achievement for me at 43 (in 2 weeks) having been in wheelchair for the last 7 years and coming from 16st orginally in 2002.

I don't know whether to eat at Lightly active TDEE to allow for the involuntary movements and just cut the extra exercise, but its also my physio and has improved my mobility beyind what we were expecting, or go up to moderatively active to allow for going on passive trainer bike too. I'm scared I'm going to over estimate and pile on weight and not make my goal, but need to do something to get the weight loss going again?

Reading about OEP where people have lost 5lbs in a week/few days that would be enough for me to reach my goal, record it on wii fit to complete the game then get back to healthy eating and exercise without them? My original goal was 9st 7 so I don't even mind putting a few pounds back on as long as I reach 9st 3 just once to finish the game before goal date!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that part of this process is getting our bodies to trust us. Trust that we're going to take proper care of it, nourish it and give it what it needs to work for us, not have to protect itself from our choices. Forcing your body to deal with a thermogenic while on the path to truly caring for yourself seems counterproductive. The weight gain, if it occurs, is temporary. I know it's hard to take the leap. Keep your eyes in the entirety of your life and your best health. That's what this is for. Be kind to yourself and I wish you the best.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You seem to be locked into losing a set amount of weight in a set amount of time no matter what.

That is not the mentality here and you will NOT be happy here.

To follow this method, you have to discard "weight loss thinking", get rid of the scale, and focus on HEALING your body and not just SHRINKING IT!

I hope you reach your goal soon so you can stop worrying about getting there!!

Hugs......
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you should use at least moderate activity level. Good for you for improving your health. This method would definitely improve your health even more.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    problem is I was losing a few pounds each month reguarly and if I'd have lost my 2-3lbs this last month I would have reached my goal weight easily by my birthday and was expecting to lose last month so surprised when I haven't.

I lost 1 lb after been sick one day and having the runs but that's gone back on and was still 9st 6 this morning when I was expecting to be about 9st 4 by now with only another few pounds to lose when water goes off after next monthlies taking me to my goal.

so its kind of frustrating it hasn't come off leaving me 3lb off goal with only 2 weeks to go! :sad: