New to group...Ideas??

Options
adfabus
adfabus Posts: 178 Member
Hello all. I was happy to see this group but was hoping to see more posts. I travel out of town for about 30% and needed help in getting ideas for healthy choices while on the road. The problem is that I travel with a group of folks and often do not have my own vehicle. I would like some ideas on what I could do to eat better while traveling away from home. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bobstriumph
    Options
    HI, I'm in the same boat. I travel for work and when I'm on the road (which is quite often) I am at the mercy of my clients choices for restaurants and such. I've started this while I have a couple weeks at home but am sure I need to do some planning before I head back to the airport.
  • kkmulholland
    Options
    Hello!
    I am a long time business traveler and one of the best tips I ever got was to order a GREEN salad at the beginning of a dinner out. Top it with balsamic vinegar (not bals dressing). It's nearly calorie free, you get veg in AND you get to avoid bread, appetizers, etc. It's been a great tool to use during dinner meetings. Also, seltzer water with a splash of grenadine with a twist from the bar can make it look like you are enjoying a cocktail with colleagues without the alcohol calories.

More tips are welcome!!!
  • ElanorC
    ElanorC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've joined this group as I've just started a new job with extensive travel abroad. Mix of short and long distance but nearly always a week at a time. Already had a trip to Taiwan (I'm in UK so 13+ hours for that one) and Mexico city coming up in a week. I'm finding it really hard to manage fitting in exercise and non-comfort eating when I'm tired and just want to sleep In the evenings. I'm hoping to pick up some tips but I think I might just have to get used to it!
  • bobstriumph
    Options
    Hi, I travel 50-70% of the time and struggle with this. A big help has been the food calorie thing from MFP on my iphone. You can check what you are thinking of ordering before you order it. I eat a lot of chicken and have learned to like fish.

The biggest obstacle I encounter is finding time to excercise. I live on the west coast so when I travel east it is very difficult to get up at 5am to work out and then the evenings are usually filled with entertaining clients and such.
  • bobstriumph
    Options
    that being tired is tough. We know if we eat right and excercise we can overcome the jet lag quicker but getting over the hump is tough. My strategy for those long trips has been to schedule my eating, small meals every 3-4 hours and walk everywhere that is practical. As a courtesy, those in Asia and many other areas, will provide a ride for us even in instances that they would normally walk. Simply expressing your desire to stretch your legs ahead of time can endear you to your client or associate and get you the excercise that helps you beat the jet lag.
  • TrojanAge
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My colleagues that have recently lost weight went vegetarian or fish+vegetarian. They were both men. Business folks seem to be more considerate of people that say they are vegetarian over just trying to lose weight. What I'm trying to do is eat as healthy as I can and then on the last day of the trip, splurge with drinks and a good dinner. It worked on my last week long trip in October. I also had this ridiculous idea that I had to eat a lot a breakfast, lunch and dinner because I didn't want to be hungry in between if I ate light (because we were in meeting rooms all day and I couldn't pick when I wanted to eat or not, scheduled meals). I ate much lighter in October and I didn't get any crazy hunger pangs or anything like that in between meals. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. But just thought It would keep it real in case someone else is thinking the same way when you are on someone else's food timetable.
  • flelderlaw
    Options
    Have a friend that travels like you -with a group. It can be tough-especially if others don't have your food issues and needs. My friends packs some food of her own and stays in hotels that have a kitchenette. She carries : canned tuna, muscle milk. She usually stay at one hotel for a week ( if she is lucky) and will either barrow the rental car or get other team mates to go on a grocery store run for fresh produce and eggs after they first check in. She is big on microwaving eggs and spinach in a coffee cup for breakfast and tries to stay away from the free breakfasts since those are usually carb heavy and will not hold her until lunch.

One of the difficulty battles for her is that after the end of a grueling day a beer or a drink sounds soooo good! Eazy way to watch calories on the road is to stay away from alcohol ( easier said than done, I know) Hope that helps.
  • mikegooding
    Options
    Plan Ahead!!! I travel most weeks, covering 3 states with flights to 5 states. I plan ahead by scoping where I can get my meals, and what I can eat.

A sample:

Monday- flight to Denver- 530am PDX- buy a perfect oatmeal(brown Sugar) at Starbucks- 200 calories.
    10am Snack during Layover in Salt Lake- new egg while sandwich at McDonalds- 250 calories

By looking ahead and knowing what options you have you can make sure to stay under your calories for the day.

Even when I arrive late to town and nothing is open, a simple baked patato at Wendy's can be under 300 calories.

If your stuck with a dinner location you did not choose, then try to find the " fit menu" most locations have this.
  • seakobi
    seakobi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great tips - thank you.

I also travel for business - on the road about 70% of the month. Thankfully, some of my upcoming travel is relatively close to home so I will be able to drive. Air travel and going West to East is the worst especially even the hint of getting up early to work out - uggg.

I am starting to pack my own snacks (super yum healthy popcorn from WF as well as Kashi bars).

It takes a lot of work!

PS - I haven't tried the McD egg white sand yet - is it good? I imagine it's probably horribly high in sodium.
  • mikegooding
    Options
    Anything "Mc" is high in sodium.... It's kind of a last resort in airports to hit it. Keep in mind the steel cut oatmeal at Starbucks is 200 with the brown sugar!
  • mikegooding
    Options
    Another great home idea that can be carried with you on local trips is Costco bagged(foster farms fatfree boneless skniless) chicken breasts!

I use my traeger smoker and do all 10 pounds at once. Using Mrs Dash seasonings.

Then I reheat during the week and pack in my lunch on longer trips.
  • mikegooding
    Options
    The ultimate Snack- Special K Cracker chips- WOW- great taste- several flavors- and you get 27 chips for 110 calories! Are you kidding me! We have hit the Wal-Mart to get the larger 6 serving box for under 4 bucks. These are becoming so popular I see them in 7-11 and convience stores in the one serving size hanging next to the dorrito's.

Sour Cream and Onion is my favorite!

it does not feel like dieting! I can get them on the road and snack during the trip!

down 26 pounds in 60 days and loving this APP! it has changed my life. coupled it with Runkeeper, and walk about 3-4 miles aday.
  • KAMONTAGUE1
    KAMONTAGUE1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been on the road since 2008. Had lost 30 lbs lat year, Got arrogant and have gained back 10lbs.
    Spend about 12 nights a month in hotels.
    Travel North America
    I ran my first half marathon in April 2013.
    Had some foot pain and now getting back to running.
    Train with a personal trainer 2/week

My downfall is poor eating while traveling.

Hope to gain knowledge and motivation.

Happy trails.
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have been packing my 100 calorie oatmeal to eat in the mornings while on the road. If I need additional protein I add a little peanut butter to it. I make sure I eat it and a little fruit on the breakfast bar at the hotel.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I am a long time business traveler and one of the best tips I ever got was to order a GREEN salad at the beginning of a dinner out. Top it with balsamic vinegar (not bals dressing). It's nearly calorie free, you get veg in AND you get to avoid bread, appetizers, etc. It's been a great tool to use during dinner meetings. Also, seltzer water with a splash of grenadine with a twist from the bar can make it look like you are enjoying a cocktail with colleagues without the alcohol calories.

More tips are welcome!!!

I've been trying the green salad at the beginning of a meal; works like a charm! Fills me up a bit, so I'm not famished when the meal arrives (and therefore eat less of it), and adds very few calories to the meal thanks to the balsamic vinegar (fat free!). Thanks for sharing that tip!
  • LucyGooseD
    LucyGooseD Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow lite cheese wedges are great for in the room, especially on an apple. If I snack on that before a late dinner i eat less.

Good luck.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It has been really nice finding local groceries and making two of my meals every day, I love greek yougurt and fresh fruit. Great for breakfast! The trick for me is to find lo-cal offerings to offset any dinner or lunch out!
  • SteffiLatta
    SteffiLatta Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road 75-100% each month. I find travel days to be hardest, since I travel from DEN to PHL each week, then drive to my client site, the options seem to be 1) airport food and 2) fast food crap.

Other than that, at the hotel I always ask for a fridge and if I'm sharing a car, make sure I ask for a trip to the store so I can pick up yogurt & veggie snacks. Even though I'm a extrovert, I had to stop staying at hotels with bars! Seriously, after a long day at work, unwinding with others would charge my batteries, but the empty calories of martini's (no olives don't count as your fruit for the day), and late night conversations derailed my workout schedule. Now I allow one night a week for co-workers, but the rest of the nights are light dinner and working out.