Should I continue with C25K?

Options
secretlobster
secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
I started the program on May 9th, not from "couch" exactly but I've never been a runner and so I always figured it would take me forever to complete. I just finished Week 2 and was hoping to move on to Week 3 today.

Well, yesterday I went to go run outside and I ended up running for 35 minutes straight, which turned out to be slightly over 5k. I was really proud of myself!! It wasn't terribly difficult but I'm definitely a bit sore this morning.

SO... Should I continue with C25K anyway? Is it still going to have value for me, or should I try to find another goal? The 5K I'm registered for isn't until October.

Replies

• jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...tough one. On the one hand, you can already complete 35 minutes of running, on the other hand, the C25k program does help you slowly add running time so that you train the muscles and other tissues involved specifically in running. Adding too great a distance, too fast can lead to injury. You might be able to accomplish that distance once, but are your soft tissues (muscles, tendons, etc.) really adapted yet for running?

Maybe for next week, run 10 minutes and walk 25 minutes for runs 1 & 2 and on day 3, run 20 minutes and walk another 10 or so. Or, modify the program in some similar way that feels right to your body. Hal Higdon (and many others) have beginner 5k training programs and they usually give guidance on building up to the 5k distance.

The only think I'd say I would DEFINITELY recommend is to not increase past 30 minutes or add speed work until you've been running it for at least 4-6 weeks or maybe longer (esp serious speed work). Runner's World has a great forum with TONS of information for beginners.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I should say that I'm not interested in distance running (10K would be my limit) but I would eventually like to work on my speed. For now though, I really just want a structured program to help me adapt to running. I like your suggestion to run/walk for medium periods and then use day 3 as a building day. I think I will try that. Runners World seems like a great resource, thank you