Need friend's to stay motivated...

Options
edjack
edjack Posts: 20 Member
Join MFP on Feb. then just gave up. I need to loose more than 100 lbs I'm 5'8" weight 270. When I started I weight @ 285 lbs so I've lost 15 pound's and I'm stuck need some insights I'll be working out six day a week for @ least 1 hr..

Replies

• FiremanSam111
    FiremanSam111 Posts: 118
    Options
    Hey there! If your stuck you can try a few of these... Give yourself a whole week off exercise. When you get back into it your b ody will receive a swift kick back into action. Change your exercise time if you can, and change what you are doing regularly. mix it up and push yourself. I will be introducing short sprints into my running routine soon to shock my body a bit. Make sure you eat breakfast, even if it is just a protein shake. It will get your metabolism rolling and keep it going all day. Don't eat after 8pm. EVER. Eat little and often, every 3 hours if possible. Stick with it. Plateaus suck the motivation out of everyone, but they do pass. I should know, I'm on my second plateua right now where I'm stuck at about 100Kg (220lbs). Plateaus seem to be the body's way of readjusting to your new lifestyle. Add a killer burn workout to confuse the body a bit more, it may be just what you need. I hope this helps, I am no expert, and everybody is different when it comes to weight loss.
  • TonyCas18844
    TonyCas18844 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey there! If your stuck you can try a few of these... Give yourself a whole week off exercise. When you get back into it your b ody will receive a swift kick back into action. Change your exercise time if you can, and change what you are doing regularly. mix it up and push yourself. I will be introducing short sprints into my running routine soon to shock my body a bit. Make sure you eat breakfast, even if it is just a protein shake. It will get your metabolism rolling and keep it going all day. Don't eat after 8pm. EVER. Eat little and often, every 3 hours if possible. Stick with it. Plateaus suck the motivation out of everyone, but they do pass. I should know, I'm on my second plateua right now where I'm stuck at about 100Kg (220lbs). Plateaus seem to be the body's way of readjusting to your new lifestyle. Add a killer burn workout to confuse the body a bit more, it may be just what you need. I hope this helps, I am no expert, and everybody is different when it comes to weight loss.

This is great advice. I an 5'7" and I just lost 21 lbs. over the past 12 weeks. It took discipline and hard work, but it was worth it. I mixed up my exercise with weight lifting one day and cardio the next. I spent about 45 minutes each day with the exercises. The main part that helped was eating right. I started eating 6 times a day (every 3 hours) and drank 10 or more cups a day of water and nothing else. I cut out all breads and all soft drinks for the 6 days and ate what I wanted (in moderation) on Sunday. I did this for 12 weeks and it got me into a good routine.

Good luck with getting back on track.
  • edjack
    Options
    Thank's I'll be doing this..
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Great advice. This is a concept called "muscle confusion" and is the basis of all those P90X type of programs. My wife & I sprung for a personal trainer and he says the same thing. The worst thing for sustained weight loss & exercise is complacency and doing the same thing over and over again. We all gravitate to the machines and the exercises that we do well at...walk in the gym, eliptical, bench press & curls...right guys? That's the worst thing to do!! Change up your exercises, your weights, your reps, the time of day you exercise, even when you eat and WHAT you eat (Have chicken breasts for breakfast and cereal for dinner). This will help keep you from plateau-ing as often and will get you out of a plateau faster when you reach one.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Eliminate anything "white" from your diet; anything over-processed by machines. Shop around the edges of the grocery store. Hit the gym on even days, take a fast walk on odd days. Exercise the big muscles for the first few weeks to build up muscle mass quickly.
  • edjack
    Options
    thank's guy's I'll be adding you guy's to my profile if that's ok.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I travel a fair bit and when on the road, it's really hard to keep motivated to exercise, even when there is an exercise room in the hotel. That's where I am, right now. I headed over to the exercise room, but I arrived too late and it was already closed. I guess I'll be doing the gym-class classics in my room.

I was ravenously hungry. I went down to the restaurant and there was the mega-temptation: the buffet. Sure, there was a huge salad bar, but the little voices in my head were screaming "Don't do it!!" I sat down, perused the menu instead and saw that the menu choices were actually pretty good. I picked the turkey-bacon club wrap (bacon because, after all, I'm a man) and it was served with veggie chips. What a pleasant surprise. I mentioned that to the waiter and we got into a long conversation about diet, working out, etc. He's lost 50lbs in the past year and we talked about how hard it was. I told him about the exercise room. I thought nothing more of it.

I finished up my meal, leaving my usual 2 bites behind on the plate and the waiter said he asked the manager to open up the exercise room for me for 45 minutes! I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't be afraid to share your stories with other men, you never know where help or encouragement may come from.
  • edjack
    Options
    awsome this realy motivate me. and me being a truck driver is realy hard to find time to work out but so far so good, I'll just ask you guy's for more insight whenever i need a kick in the butt.. thanks
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and have been enjoying the posts -- very inspirational!
  • kevinosity
    Options
    My advice is keep at it. Weight loss isn't always continual. I've dropped about 38lbs since March and now have hit the dreaded "plateau" where the scale doesn't budge. The thing is, I feel better. My clothes fit better. So despite the scale not moving I'm going to keep going. The same goes for you. Watch your food types, exercise but give yourself rest, make sure you're eating enough calories and keep going. We can do it!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You can to this! Driving a truck can make it challenging to eat right and workout. I know as many, many years ago I did the OTR trucking thing.

You need to decide: are you a warrior that will stop at nothing to reach your goals, or are you a wimp that gives up at the slightest roadblock?

My advice, stay out of the truck stops except to fuel, showers, and sleep. Some have gyms these days I understand, so I suppose that would be okay, but DON'T EAT THERE! Get a fridge if you don't already have one and buy food to make your own meals. Eating out is one of my challenges even now, as it's hard to know how much I'm really consuming.

If you have not already done so, start doing some cardio work a couple days a week such as walking, running, biking (folding bike?), and investigate body weight workout routines to do on the remaining days. These are designed to be able to be done anywhere and in my opinion, you need to be able to lift your body weight before throwing around the iron anyway. e.g. if you can't do pushups for time, you have no business bench pressing anything. Same with unweighted squats vs leg press, etc. Make it fun, and look for ways to workout even when working, e.g. don't hire lumpers, unload those boxes yourself!

Stay strong!
  • spikedkanji
    spikedkanji Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The more friends the merrier. Add me also as friends!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    You can to this! Driving a truck can make it challenging to eat right and workout. I know as many, many years ago I did the OTR trucking thing.

You need to decide: are you a warrior that will stop at nothing to reach your goals, or are you a wimp that gives up at the slightest roadblock?

Stay strong!

sigh. simp here.... not giving up but warrior I'm not.. just plugging along peeps..
  • decafdrinker
    Options
    42 yrs old, would like to lose 20 to 25 lbs....was 166 much of my adult life until engagement and marriage....freshman 15?? Nope! Marriage 20!! And haven't gotten rid of it for several married years... New to MFP and cool iPad app. Really trying to log everything I eat and much of my cardio stuff. Just starting. Happy to be friends and give/get support. Request if interested.
    Thanks.
    Decafdrinker