Nursing mom/Insanity/Am I eating enough?

Options
I am 5'8, and weigh 164. I've been stuck at this weight for 2 months. (My body fat % has been dropping in that time, however.) I also breastfeed my 16 month old daughter, about 5 times a day. I'm about to start week 4 of Insanity. I eat very healthy most of the time, but will have a cheat day here and there. This weekend I was so hungry, I just stopped logging and ate what I wanted. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough calories in general. Total calories I've been eating on a daily basis is 2200. So this includes my daily calories without exercise, my exercise calories, and the the calories I burn nursing. The other possibility is I might be pregnant (probably not, but could be) but I won't find out until sometime next week. So is this enough, or should I be eating more? Should I be eating less? (I don't really want to eat less, I'd be way too hungry!)

Replies

• nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    Total calories I've been eating on a daily basis is 2200. So this includes my daily calories without exercise, my exercise calories, and the the calories I burn nursing.

How does this compare to your TDEE? Not sure I understand this statement. For breastfeeding calories you should add an additional 200-300 calories to your TDEE.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Total calories I've been eating on a daily basis is 2200. So this includes my daily calories without exercise, my exercise calories, and the the calories I burn nursing.

How does this compare to your TDEE? Not sure I understand this statement. For breastfeeding calories you should add an additional 200-300 calories to your TDEE.

I think I know what you're saying. Are you subtracting breastfeeding calories by entering them as food. That's what I do - it subtracts 300 from my food total for the day.

Also, how long have you been EMTWL? A lot of us on here have been experiencing a gnawing hunger as our metabolisms rev up. I don't know if it's more intense than that?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding.

I also do as the above poster does and add breastfeeding as a food that deducts 300 right at the start of my day.

You should be eating your 300 nursing calories in addition to your 15% cut.
  • billyjoebob
    billyjoebob Posts: 72
    Options
    I do add my breastfeeding calories as food, I add 200 calories. I actually haven't been doing EMTWL, but I heard of this group from the main forums and it sounded like sound science. I'm pretty new to it. I just calculated my BMR and TDEE and they are:
    BMR:1558
    TDEE:2689
    It (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ) says I should be eating 2285 calories per day. Adding on the nursing the total would be 2485 or 2585. Should I really eat that much a day, and will I lose weight? I am doing an exercise program (Insanity) where I was hoping to lose a decent amount of weight, would it slow that down?
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    Well it will slow it to a certain degree but you will still be losing.

I would encourage you to read through all of the stickies in this group, especially the "What to expect when upping calories" sticky.

I eat my TDEE -15% plus my 300 nursing calories and I have lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks as well as inches.

This is not a quick fix diet but a way to fix our metabolisms to allow us to eat a normal amount of food to fuel our bodies while also losing weight.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    Yeah for Breastfeeding Moms! You are awesome!
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    Yeah for Breastfeeding Moms! You are awesome!

:bigsmile: