Newbie with pull-up goal

Options
13»

Replies

• LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I can now do 3 consecutive negative chin-ups for 20 seconds with no difficulty at all. I've been doing assisted pull-ups with my feet on a bench in front of me, and they are easy too. But I tried a 'real' pull-up a few days ago and it seems like I am still a million miles away. :frown:

Don't know how to bridge that gap.

I just looked everywhere for this great youtube video, but can't find it....I should really favorite those things!

Anyway, this girl kept her pull up bar up on her door way all the time, attempted them every time she went by...even if it meant jumping up a bit. If it's too easy with the chair, try assisting yourself with a jump; push your self up with your feet and pull yourself the rest of the way.

When I started I could only do one and only if I pushed off with my feet. I stuck with them and did them in ladders ( 1 rest 1 rest 1 rest 1 rest 1. When I could finally do that "one" unassisted then I increased the ladder to 1 rest 1 rest 2 rest 1 rest 1)

The progress is slow, keep plugging away. Pull down lats and rows with help too!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll let you know when I do my first!
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I am up to TWO consecutive pull-ups and THREE consecutive chin-ups!!!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    That's amazing - congratulations! I'm very jealous, LOL!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I am up to TWO consecutive pull-ups and THREE consecutive chin-ups!!!

Awesome!!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this group but I'm loving this thread. Great to see you all doing well. I got my pull up bar about a month ago with the aim of being able to do one unassisted by the time I turn 30 in December. I'm using resistance bands to help. I have a set of 6 bands and have gone down two levels so far so I am definitely improving, albeit slowly!

Good luck everyone!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Nice work! Way to go!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm also a newbie with this same goal. I've just started lifting weights with my boyfriend and I've always wanted to be able to do an unassisted pull up. The gym I go to has a machine for assisted chinups so I'll be using this to begin with
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm much FARTHER from my chin-up/pull-up goal than I had thought.

:sad:

Nope. I *still* haven't tried one. But, CHIN-UPS have reared their head in my "B" work-out of Phase 2, NROL4Abs....and, I had to do them, yesterday, ASSISTED. WITH 75 LBS., ASSISTED!!!!!!!

Ugh. I felt like SUCH a failure! Because, unassisted pull-ups/chin-ups have been a 2012 goal of mine. Now, 2012 isn't over, but I really didn't know, until yesterday, how *far* away I was from my goal - and now I REALLY DO.

So, I've got to "suck it up, princess" and get to work - there's work to be done!