So confused and scared..please help!

Options
AKosky585
AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
Quick background is that I have pretty much yo-yo dieted and gone on strict calorie restriction on and off over the past 10 years...with most of the time keeping my calories between 1000-1400...

Just last summer, I did a low carb diet, went from 136-126, I stalled for over a month, so I decided to give that up, and it all came piling back on, plus some...I am currently sitting at 146.

I tried the low calorie route again, and did get back to 140, however after almost passing out one day, I realized that low calorie was not going to do it...

For the past 5 weeks, I have been at 1500 calories and am back to 156 as of thismorning. According to the Scooby site, my BMR is 1600, and TDEE is 2250. 15% deficit is 1900 or so. My BFM has pretty close numbers to this...on days I work and exercise, my numbers are more like 3000.

I KNOW I need to eat at TDEE to reset, but I am terrified to. I mean, I have gained 6 pounds in 5 weeks at 1500. What on earth will the scale say if I go to 2200 for a few weeks? My clothes are not fitting any better..., which is discouraging! I am going to the Virgin Islands in 4 weeks, and I just keep getting bigger instead of losing, like i had wanted to do for this vacation (and beyond)

I am constantly hungry, which tells me my body is burning off what I am feeding it, but yet the scale goes up! ( I don't log everything in my diary...mostly in a notebook I carry with me)

I do 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio 5x/ week and do weight lifting 3x/ week for 30 minutes.

Lowering calories again is NOT an option, but I don't wait to keep gaining like this! Please help reassure me that this will work :(

Replies

• tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It will work if you have patience.

Please check out the what to expect thread at the top of the message board. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
  • AKosky585
    Options
    I've read the post many times over the past couple of weeks :) But will I gain another 6 pounds if I up to 1700 or 1800, then another 6 when I get to maintain mode? I don't think I could handle an 18 pound gain from upping calories! I am willing to be patient, but it has to level out at some point, right?
  • hill_dilley
    hill_dilley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey

Dont panic. You will need to be patient to convince your body that you are going to consistently give it what it needs (and yes, it will still be a defecit on TDEE and the weight / inches loss will follow in time.)

One thing I'd suggest is that I have experienced the rebound after low carb diets before personally as you cant really return to eating 'normally' or 'naughtily' with high carbs without your body grabbing back the water and weight. Make sure your profile goals are set to the below (And the scooby calculator when you look at your values)
    40% Carbs (Make this up with wholegrain or veg / fruit)
    30% Lean Protein (Lots use the protein shakes to help with this and it helps increasing the KCals)
    30% Fat

Avoid the procedded stuff you know you shouldn't eat but make room for treats and rewards.

Consistently eat yout TDEE-15% and make sure, if you exercise you do not net below your BMR - eat back enough to be above this number.

Have a look at the 'What to expect' thread again and note many of the participants dont see weight loss in the first few weeks so be patient and maybe readjust your goals for your holiday i.e. Making the change now to do it right for the long term, not a short term fix for a week away.

Hops this helps

Liz x
  • AKosky585
    Options
    Hey

Dont panic. You will need to be patient to convince your body that you are going to consistently give it what it needs (and yes, it will still be a defecit on TDEE and the weight / inches loss will follow in time.)

One thing I'd suggest is that I have experienced the rebound after low carb diets before personally as you cant really return to eating 'normally' or 'naughtily' with high carbs without your body grabbing back the water and weight. Make sure your profile goals are set to the below (And the scooby calculator when you look at your values)
    40% Carbs (Make this up with wholegrain or veg / fruit)
    30% Lean Protein (Lots use the protein shakes to help with this and it helps increasing the KCals)
    30% Fat

Avoid the procedded stuff you know you shouldn't eat but make room for treats and rewards.

Consistently eat yout TDEE-15% and make sure, if you exercise you do not net below your BMR - eat back enough to be above this number.

Have a look at the 'What to expect' thread again and note many of the participants dont see weight loss in the first few weeks so be patient and maybe readjust your goals for your holiday i.e. Making the change now to do it right for the long term, not a short term fix for a week away.

Hops this helps

Liz x

My goals definitely are for the long term, but some progress by vacation would have been nice! lol. I have spent the past 3 days reading everything I can on here, so I feel I am on the right track... however I have my protein at 35%, carbs at 35 and fats at 30.

I am going up to to 1700 tomorrow, and stay there for a few weeks, and see where it goes. I am pretty sure I have reached that today though, and I am still SO HUNGRY!!!

Whats going on with the constant hunger today?
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Huge Hugs! It is so hard to go up and up and up! But here is what I know. Once you start to feed your body A LOT it doesn't need to hold on to the little bits you feed it.

It can take a LONG time to reset. Sometimes you need to eat your TDEE to reset (I did, it's been a long almost 9 weeks) but for the most part I feel good!

You won't gain 18lbs as you reset. Trust your body to use what it needs, if you give it what it needs.

Don't go junk eating, make your high calories lots of protein ( I use shakes and bars) and meet your macros, it's helpful. Be mindful of the bloat as your body tries to figure all this out. That's almost the worst part.

You deserve to eat healthy food and fuel your body.