Solo Yoga

Options
bewitchinglife
bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
I love yoga, but I'm not much of a joiner. In fact, I've never been to a yoga class in my life even though I've been doing yoga off and on for 5 years.

For a long time, my favorite yoga resource was the Yoga Anatomy book, but I'm getting a bit bored of my current routine. I'm awaiting the arrival of 'Light on Yoga' by B.K.S. Iyengar.

Do you do solo yoga, and how do you keep it interesting and fresh?

Replies

• Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Options
    you tube!!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    "Light on Yoga" might be a bit daunting. I've been to many classes in my life - so to keep it fresh I use material from those classes.

You might want to check your library for yoga books and videos. Also, yoga journal has podcast and you can go to their website and look at different sequences.
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I also never attended a yoga class. I have been doing yoga off and on for about 8 years (since I was 16.) I find that once I learn a routine taking it outside makes it so much nicer. So in the summer and spring I do my lessons outdoors unless I'm doing a new lesson video. I try to focus on series of movements that I can memorize so I can do them without thumbing through a book or staring at a TV.
    The other ways I am trying to keep my yoga interesting this time around (cuz I'm REALLY going to try not to take time off and slide all the way back to square one! haha) are...
    Location change up
    Get my husband involved (hopeful.. solo gets boring)
    Really GOOD music to help my mind focus and make me look forward to the session
    I guess the way I'm looking at yoga is helping too. I am focusing on my goals. Everytime I bend into a pose I try to remember how far I was last time and match that and then see if I can go further. Making note of my progress REALLY helps me stay motivated. "last week I could only lay my knuckles on the floor in this pose, this week my hands are flat on the floor..."
    YAY
  • ZigsFigs
    ZigsFigs Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of doing yoga at home. I try to do a small amount of practice daily, though it tends to end up being every other day.

One of the big things that keeps me motivated is having an actual yoga space. A place in my house just for my mat and my practice. Tara Stiles (who has an awesome youtube channel filled with FREE yoga videos) recommended carving out your own yoga space in your home and I really took that and ran with it. My yoga mat is always laid out in my spare bedroom, next to the window to make sure that there is lots of light and fresh air nearby while I'm practicing.

As for "keeping it fresh" I'm always searching youtube or tumblr for new yoga videos to try out. So far my favorites are anything Sadie Nardini posts and a detox flow class led by Clara Roberts-Oss.

:-)
  • bewitchinglife
    Options
    I like the idea of creating a special yoga space. I'm looking forward to finishing my yurt, as I think that will be the best place for yoga. It won't be yoga only, but I think I'll manage.

@Yoginimary - Why do you say daunting?

@ HannahDiaz - Yoga outside is the best. I also do track my progress.

I'll have to check out youtube. I usually find videos distracting, but if Iearn a new pose that would be helpful.

Thank you for your input.
  • yoginimary
    Options

@Yoginimary - Why do you say daunting?

There are a lot of poses in there that are quite difficult. Sometimes it is hard to figure out how exactly to get into them.
  • bewitchinglife
    Options
    Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered the free weekly yoga practices at yogatoday.com -- free to sign up and beautiful scenery! Challenging workouts too. You can also download videos (so you can store them on your computer and watch repeatedly) for something like $3.
  • jennagale
    jennagale Posts: 6
    Options
    I've never been to a class either. I have a few books, one I really like is 'Slim Calm Sexy Yoga' by Tara Stiles. I subscribe to Yoga Journal magazine and there are always different asanas to do in it. That's the great thing about books and magazines, they aren't distracting and you can go at your own pace. I'm also a big fan of YouTube, and I have 3 DVD's that I use.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I go to a yoga class about once a year and I've been doing yoga off and on for about 10 years now. Wow!!! Anyway, when I get bored I get a new dvd or exploration yoga option on ondemand or online. I also treat myself to new yoga gear. I know that's bad, but...:bigsmile::ohwell:
  • bewitchinglife
    Options
    I'm really liking 'Light on Yoga' so far. It's a 300 week yoga course. Holy smokes. Nearly six years of yoga?

Some of the poses are harder, but they don't come up in the program until later. Planning to start week one next week.

My most favorite thing about yoga is that it is essentially free, and once you have a routine in your head you can do it anywhere.

@Bunny1006, maybe what I really need is a new killer yoga outfit for all the yoga I'm going to be doing. :tongue:

@Jennagale I'll have to find that book. Thanks for the heads up!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    If you are doing the course, it gets pretty hard quickly. I did it for awhile, but I think by week 11, holding the poses for a minute became quite difficult - by week 20 there are poses I can't do.

Have you ever timed your poses? BKS Iyengar always has a timer next to him (not in Light on Yoga, but in other pictures of his practice)
  • bewitchinglife
    Options
    I haven't timed my poses. I usually count my breaths. I do think timing would be nicer because then my brain could rest on something else other than counting. However, I'd have to find a timer with a gentle sound. A jarring buzz during yoga seems like it would be jarring to my senses.

I just checked out Week 20. Yup. Looks hard. No matter. If I take longer than 20 weeks to get there, that's OK. Also OK if I end up doing something else. I enjoyed reading the front part of the book, it had some interesting thoughts in it.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    There are some meditation/yoga aps for smart phones that have more soothing timers on them.

Counting your breaths is a good idea too though. I notice when I'm doing handstand, my breaths are much faster :tongue:
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, my friends keeps trying to get me to come to classes but I much prefer to do it in my own space. I follow a mixture of routines, the Yoga for Beginners in the Dummies series on dvd, that has a beginners and also an intermediate routine, and also one that I've recorded from the TV, David Olton's Yoga For All. I like to mix them up so I never get bored. I try to do yoga once or twice a week for 50-150 minutes depending on how I'm feeling and how much time I have. It's one of many exercises I do but I always look forward to it.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Yoga, alone, outside is awesome....unless you live in Times Square.....which could be awesomely challenging : )
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    Yoga, alone, outside is awesome....unless you live in Times Square.....which could be awesomely challenging : )
    HAHA! good point :-)
  • bewitchinglife
    Options

When the sun is shining, I love to yoga outside. Living near Seattle makes the sun part a bit challenging. Today is a yoga inside kind of day.
  • bewitchinglife
    Options
    @Mixedfeelings - I understand completely. Yoga is my silent zen time. I can't imagine doing it in a room full of people. I need that time for some self centering.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I was practicing solo outside, in the driveway (lol) all summer. It just this week got too dark to go outside at 6AM. I miss the fresh air and seeing the sky while I practice.

I do have a great yoga area in the house though, so I'm all set for the cold, dark, winter!