Macronutrient ratio

Options
It appears that 40/30/30 (carb/protein/fat) is the standard ratio for this group and I'm assuming it is what is recommended by The New Rules of Lifting for women. That being said ... it is OK to deviate from this slightly? For example, 45/25/30 (carb/protein/fat). At 1700 calories daily, I'd be looking at < 200g carbs, 108g protein, and 57g fat.

I'm 128 lbs with a goal weight of 115. 25% (108g) is still a decent amount of protein for my body, right? Can anyone explain to me why this might not be a good variation?

Thanks!

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    It is definitely okay!

I think people just find more success with the ratios set to 40/30/30 but it is definitely not a requirement.

I need to get in 120 grams of protein everyday and I find on the days I do this, I am less hungry and have more energy.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    The ratios keep us at about 1gr of protein per pound of body weight, which helps is maintaining, repairing and gaining lean muscle mass. Especially when lifting heavy, you must feed the muscles protein. Anywhere from .8-1gr of protein is highly recommended, so we go with a gr per lb for ease. If you can squeeze in a little more great. It totally depends on what your goals are. I am heavy lifting going for the more "toned" look so I work hard to get in my protein. Hope this helps.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this. My fat is slightly over for today (this is my first day) but those are mostly healthy fats from yogurt, hummus etc.