dosage

Options
fiberartist219
fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
I have lost 17lbs so far, and I'm wondering if I should get tested to see if my dosage is still correct. I'm being treated for hypo, but lately, I've been having trouble sleeping through the night. I wonder if I'm just stressed out or if I am actually becoming hyper on my current dose.

Does anyone know? I know testing isn't terribly expensive, but making appointments is a hassle and it's kind of hard to get out of work... so if it's just a crappy time at work, I'll leave well enough alone.

Replies

• moopity
    moopity Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i've been hypothyroid since 2004. as well as i know my body (and i think pretty well), it's virtually impossible for me to determine my levels. there are many symptoms that fall within both hypothyroid and hyperthyroid -- such as insomnia, hair loss, fatigue, muscle aches and pains. to complicate matters, i have hashimotos, so my thyroid likes to swing back and forth like a pendulum on speed. if i were to guess right now, i'd say i'm pretty level, but just two weeks ago, my most recent blood test revealed i'm subclinical hyperthryoid, meaning my TSH looks hyper, but my T3 and T4 look hypo. we're all very confused!

i feel for you -- i know what it's like to feel like my levels are off. that sucks and combined with the cost of more tests -- it's like adding insult to injury. but imho, you need to know your levels. hyperthyroidism is not fun. it can mess up your metabolism by making you burn too many calories and too much LMM. i know because it happened to me earlier this year. i lost 10 pounds and at first was psyched until i realized it was muscle that i lost, and once my levels were "normalized" (though my labs say i'm both hyper and hypo right now so i don't know what's up with my thyroid) i gained the weight back almost over night.

so all this said, i very much support you in finding a way to afford the labs and move forward with the right diagnosis.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't all muscle that I lost, because I was weight training pretty heavily the last couple months, and my arms are looking pretty foxy these days.

I'll give it a couple more days to see if limiting my caffeine intake will help my sleeping, and if by the end of the week, I'm still jumpy, I'll call the doc.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Get tested. It may be too high or it may be something else. Your doc may want to run a few other labs while he/she has the blood. It seems I go about every few months for tests as they are trying to get the dose right. Don't be shy to ask your doc, they are there for you! Sometimes I think the problem is one thing and the doctor finds out is something else wrong with me...He has diagnosed 2 other problems. That includes sleep apnea. Good luck.