how much cardio do I need to lose?

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
or rather, how much is recommended?

I do c25k M,W,and F and T, Th, Sa I do 2 miles Walk at Home DVDs and a basic strength routine using resistance bands. I'm wondering if I cut out the walking and just do strength and maybe pilates on my off-running days will it be enough?

Replies

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Are you losing? If you are then don't change it if it is working and if you are enjoying it
    Not losing ... then maybe dial it back a bit, try something else or even lift some weights and see what happens.

I don't know if any magic number will work as we are all wired differently and so more might work for someone and less for another person. You might need to trial and error. Mix it up a bit and keep the body guessing. But i reckon main thing is that you need to enjoy what you do or else you may not keep up with it. Enjoy the journey!
  • kiku76
    Options
    not losing weight or inches. I did increase my calories to 1800 2 weeks ago. but I think I need to add in an extra 200 since I'm still nursing my 15-month-old.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    How many times a day are you nursing?
  • kiku76
    Options
    before nap and bedtime, then he wakes up 2-3 times in the middle of the night. so 4-5 times a day
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    The recommended 'weekly routine' advocated by Lucia and Kiki is 3 lift days and 1 - 2 cardio days. Since you already do 3 cardio days with C25K, I'd say thrown in 2 lifting days and cut out any additional cardio. Just make sure you eat enough because Cardio burns can be quite high and get in your 30% protein. Make sure you take a rest day where you don't do any intentional workout.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The recommended 'weekly routine' advocated by Lucia and Kiki is 3 lift days and 1 - 2 cardio days. Since you already do 3 cardio days with C25K, I'd say thrown in 2 lifting days and cut out any additional cardio. Just make sure you eat enough because Cardio burns can be quite high and get in your 30% protein. Make sure you take a rest day where you don't do any intentional workout.

Perfect!
  • kiku76
    Options
    Thanks. Is there such a thing as too much cardio if you are eating the right amount of calories?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Is there such a thing as too much cardio if you are eating the right amount of calories?

Well, there are a few answers to that....Yes and no! :)

1. If you eat enough calories for what you burn, then you will be fine in regards to cals in vs cals out and can still lose weight/inches.

2. High Cardio/no lifting (or very little) may not get you the body shape you want in the end. Lifting tends to tone up those muscles and fill out the skin in a nice way that cardio only tends not to do.

3. Excessive ANYTHING can lead to over-training and you might find yourself losing progress in your fitness and weight progress.
  • kiku76
    Options
    Thanks! I think im going to cut out the extra cardio and do 10 min pilates DVD and then focus on strength. Im a lazy exerciser. If its too long I find myself not wanting to do it
  • twoboys2012
    Options
    Just make sure you get in your extra cals for breastfeeding ... i thought was somewhere around 500 cals so you may wanna get this checked so you def get them in. :)
  • kiku76
    Options
    thanks. I believe it's 500 for a exclusively nursing baby and 200-300 for an older baby. My son is 15-months-old now and eats solids and also drinks soy milk. he really only nurses when he sleeps.
  • twoboys2012
    Options
    Thanks! I think im going to cut out the extra cardio and do 10 min pilates DVD and then focus on strength. Im a lazy exerciser. If its too long I find myself not wanting to do it

i hear ya ... it takes a bit to get me going sometimes ... but once i start i usually get angry/focused and keep going hehehe
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Agreed! I couldn't do Px90 because I felt it was too slow paced and too long. I would get bored and make excuses not to even start it. Even at 45 min I'm cringing.

I can walk/run forever as long as I am outside!.......Unless its friggin cold out.
  • ashley67203
    ashley67203 Posts: 95
    Options
    Agreed! I couldn't do Px90 because I felt it was too slow paced and too long. I would get bored and make excuses not to even start it. Even at 45 min I'm cringing.

I can walk/run forever as long as I am outside!.......Unless its friggin cold out.

You sound exactly like me. I can stick to any video workout as long as it's 20 minutes long. Anything longer, no matter how much I like it, ends up gathering dust. Then I go outside and you can't drag me back in.
  • kiku76
    Options
    lol. at least its not just me. If I'm out walking, like not intentionally exercising, I can go forever. I can walk around the zoo pushing my 35 pound 4 y/o and 23 pound 1y/o in the double stroller for hours. But getting me to do 50 min of Insanity? forget it., I like it in theory, but it just takes up too much time.
    Imagine how much more time I would have to exercise if I got my *kitten* of these forums .....
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    lol. at least its not just me. If I'm out walking, like not intentionally exercising, I can go forever. I can walk around the zoo pushing my 35 pound 4 y/o and 23 pound 1y/o in the double stroller for hours. But getting me to do 50 min of Insanity? forget it., I like it in theory, but it just takes up too much time.
    Imagine how much more time I would have to exercise if I got my *kitten* of these forums .....

Umm...We are exercising our minds here. And think of how many calories your fingers are typing! I am totally putting calories burned while on MFP forums in my log.
  • kiku76
    Options
    exercising of the minds....got it :)