Sugar - should I worry?

Options
Hi,

So I have been keeping my dairy for a couple of weeks now and trying to eat clean but I am really struggling to keep my sugars down. Today my allowance is 26g and I am at 56g. 30g of that comes from fruit and veg, which includes one apple, some onion and a bit of carrot!

The rest is from my protein bar (11g) and a yoghurt (15g). I can't drink Protein shakes, they make me gag :embarassed: so I have the bars which are fine and I totally avoid sweetners as they make me spotty so I don't want to change that. I will try a different brand of yoghurt, see if I can get that down.

Aside from that do you worry about sugars that come from F&V assuming they're not too high?

Thanks

Replies

• tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't worry about "sugars" but "carbs". I try to meet my 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) macro goal.
  • yesca192324
    yesca192324 Posts: 72
    Options
    bump
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my sugars...I've just ignored them for now and concentrated on Sodium and macros and things like vitamins. There's only so much I can change at once!!! lol

I'm curious to see what other people do.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I don't even worry about sugar any more because most of my sugar comes from natural foods, like fruits and veggies. I eat very little processed foods and when I make homemade stuff that requires sugar, I try to go with something natural like honey or unsweetened applesauce.

I focus more on reaching my macros for protein, carbs and fats and also try to keep my sodium under 2500 mg.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always over a lot because I tend to eat a lot of fruit.

I don't pay attention to that one. I do try to watch total carbs...but that is usually over as well. My main focus is trying to get my protein over 100 every day and trying to get in enough healthy fats.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always over a lot because I tend to eat a lot of fruit.

I don't pay attention to that one. I do try to watch total carbs...but that is usually over as well. My main focus is trying to get my protein over 100 every day and trying to get in enough healthy fats.

This is me as well!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't worry about "sugars" but "carbs". I try to meet my 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) macro goal.

This is exactly what I do. I just look at my carb macros and make sure I stay close to that.
  • asidebottom
    asidebottom Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks guy's, I'm fine on my carbs so I'll stick with what I am doing.

You've been a great help as usual - I love it here :flowerforyou:
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't stress on those either. I try to concentrate on my 40/30/30. I'm getting better but today I'm a little off.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    I had been tracking sodium after reading about the importance of that with water retention. But after a few weeks I switched to sugar, cuz lucky me I don't have a problem with sodium being over the 2,500. Anyway, I gave up on tracking sugar because I love fruit and there is a difference between refined sugars and natural sugars (at least in my mind, maybe not in the way the body treats it.)

My suggestion is if you want something useful to track change your FIBER goal to 30grams per day and see how you are doing on that. :bigsmile: Most American diets are way low in fiber.