keto questions...new to low carb

Options
djf23
djf23 Posts: 58 Member
hey there, i started doing the low carb diet about 4 days ago, i think im in ketosis state as i bought some of those keto stix and i constantly get the second from darkest colour

i was wondering if other people are counting there calories aswell...im trying to keep my net calories (including calories burnt) under 800 a day..at the moment im at 286 pounds or 130 kg...i know 800 is low but i feel if i just eat everything (like they say you can in most low carb diets) then im more than likely to just eat other high carb crap aswell

also i read that your meant to have high fat content per day to stay in ketosis...im trying to not eat heaps of fat cause it just feels wrong half the time haha...but do i need to be consuming a minimal amount for it to work??

i kinda figured if i kept the calories low then if for some reason it stopped working for me then i would put all the weight from the fat being eaten back on...but i dont really know

i have a major sweet tooth...before this i would literally have like 4 bags of lollies a day...then like a week ago i was like wtf am i doing..going to get diabetes so i threw everything out and found out about the low carb diet.....so now i have been buying those "jols sugar free pastilles" and "well naturally sugar free chocolate bars"...and some other sugar free stuff.....was wonderign if these are okay to have with the ketosis diet....or is it not allowed ...they are all super low in carbs but im still not too sure...oh and i dont eat loads i will have like one choc bar in the whole day or like a packet of jols

if you could answer any of these question it would be greatly appreciated

dion f

Replies

• qzisue
    qzisue Posts: 8
    Options
    Low Carb-Low Fat-Low Calories are 3 different WOE.

If you truly want to do Low Carb it is best to do with moderate protein and high fat. This will bring your calories up! I have learned to not be afraid of the fat and add it. Coconut Oil/MCT Oil & Heavy Whipping Cream or Grass Fed Butter in Coffee (I usually add 3 of the 4 :)...is wonderful and an easy way to add fat. Avocado, Olives are good to snack on. I cook eggs in coconut oil also.

Go to www.dietdoctor.com and looks up LCHF for beginners. :)
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for stepping away from the lollies, and for why. You're so right, you don't want diabetes. I've had it for 8 years. I've been in ketosis since April 9 and am slowly losing weight. I may not be losing any slower or faster than any other diet, but my blood sugar readings have been ALL normal since I've been in ketosis.

I have found for me, I can't eat the sugar free candies. Once I start, I can't stop, then I have horrible bathroom issues with those sugar alcohols. Yuck! When I did Atkins I ate the sugar free candies, and low sugar ice creams, and diet sodas. After an initial 20 lb loss, I didn't lose anything for a year. My guess is that all those processed, chemical laden foods were not doing me any favors. This time around I'm off all the artificially sweetened things.

If you decide to stop the SF items, and sugary foods too, you'll likely have about 2-4 days of withdrawal. It's not the worst thing in the world, and if you tough it out, your cravings for sugar may actually die out. Mine have. I've always loved sweets and never resisted them. Til now. Not putting in sugar helps you stop craving it. I've been without it most all of this year, just having a rare treat maybe once a month, and even then I only have a bite or two as I don't want to start that chain of events...eat sugar=crave sugar.

I've heard studies that say that the brain lights up to sugar in the same pathways as heroine and cocaine. Yikes!

I highly recommend Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat". It scientifically explains why we get fat, citing over 200 studies. You might find it very helpful in your low carb endeavour for health.

Best to you!
  • djf23
    Options
    I applaud you for stepping away from the lollies, and for why. You're so right, you don't want diabetes. I've had it for 8 years. I've been in ketosis since April 9 and am slowly losing weight. I may not be losing any slower or faster than any other diet, but my blood sugar readings have been ALL normal since I've been in ketosis.

I have found for me, I can't eat the sugar free candies. Once I start, I can't stop, then I have horrible bathroom issues with those sugar alcohols. Yuck! When I did Atkins I ate the sugar free candies, and low sugar ice creams, and diet sodas. After an initial 20 lb loss, I didn't lose anything for a year. My guess is that all those processed, chemical laden foods were not doing me any favors. This time around I'm off all the artificially sweetened things.

If you decide to stop the SF items, and sugary foods too, you'll likely have about 2-4 days of withdrawal. It's not the worst thing in the world, and if you tough it out, your cravings for sugar may actually die out. Mine have. I've always loved sweets and never resisted them. Til now. Not putting in sugar helps you stop craving it. I've been without it most all of this year, just having a rare treat maybe once a month, and even then I only have a bite or two as I don't want to start that chain of events...eat sugar=crave sugar.

I've heard studies that say that the brain lights up to sugar in the same pathways as heroine and cocaine. Yikes!

I highly recommend Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat". It scientifically explains why we get fat, citing over 200 studies. You might find it very helpful in your low carb endeavour for health.

Best to you!

thanks a heap

im trying to keep the sugar free lollies to a minimum...for the first few days i kinda craved normal sugary lollies ...but now i really dont crave them at all...like i dont even want them although yesterday i had huge want for peanut butter cups..but i just had some of my sugar free chocolate which made it all fine

i had tried one brand of sugar free lollies and gummies and they were like 25% un digestable which was terrible as youd imagine haha but i stearing clear of all those for now

and ill check out that book

so thanks :)
  • djf23
    Options
    Low Carb-Low Fat-Low Calories are 3 different WOE.

If you truly want to do Low Carb it is best to do with moderate protein and high fat. This will bring your calories up! I have learned to not be afraid of the fat and add it. Coconut Oil/MCT Oil & Heavy Whipping Cream or Grass Fed Butter in Coffee (I usually add 3 of the 4 :)...is wonderful and an easy way to add fat. Avocado, Olives are good to snack on. I cook eggs in coconut oil also.

Go to www.dietdoctor.com and looks up LCHF for beginners. :)

hey

now i have started to eat more fatty foods..like salmon and bacon and eggs today...im still trying to keep the calories intake to a total of 800 (minus exercise)

today im already at like 88grams of fat in total and i havent even had dinner yet which i suppose is good for keto diet

im trying to keep the protien kinda high to what most say for keto diet...but i do quite a bit of weights so most woiuld go to good use id hope

anyways thanks :)
  • Carlamarieharris
    Carlamarieharris Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Watch your intake of the sugar free candy, it will give you diarrhea.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy the book. I learned so much from it, and am thinking of re-reading it again just to digest the info all over again.

If you're pushing your body into ketosis (which you are) there shouldn't be any harm in eating more than double the amount of calories you're allowing yourself. There's such a metabolic advantage to ketosis that you don't have to hungry while eating this way, which will likely stem any residual cravings. The great thing I'm learning about this diet is you don't have to be deprived of tasty, satiating foods. It's good you're taking in lots of fat, I hear fat is where it's at!

Keep posting, I want to know how you're doing!

Now, off to garden!
  • djf23
    Options
    I hope you enjoy the book. I learned so much from it, and am thinking of re-reading it again just to digest the info all over again.

If you're pushing your body into ketosis (which you are) there shouldn't be any harm in eating more than double the amount of calories you're allowing yourself. There's such a metabolic advantage to ketosis that you don't have to hungry while eating this way, which will likely stem any residual cravings. The great thing I'm learning about this diet is you don't have to be deprived of tasty, satiating foods. It's good you're taking in lots of fat, I hear fat is where it's at!

Keep posting, I want to know how you're doing!

Now, off to garden!

ive found that the calories around 1300 a day seems to be on the dot, i feel full and its a good amount

im trying to stay a little away from overloading the fats, ive been sticking to "healthy fats" for now as i dont want to get like addicted to like double cream haha and then just eat loads of it when i get to my goal

also im giving up some of the lollies...just realized some of them were made with quite a bit of polyols and sugar syrups which aren't shown in the carb total so they were in fact much higher in carbs than i thought

i checked again an im still in the dark end of the keto stick haha which i suppose is good...but i dont think i have lost anything yet...hopefully i will soon though...will be a good boost for me

• celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My Macros are 60-70% fat 20-30% protien and the rest carbs.

I have been doing Keto for one month and lost 13 pounds (not bad for a women!) At first I had the issue of not wanting to eat as much fat etc cuz I thought it was bad etc. I learned the truth about fat and how our bodies need it if we arnt giving it carbs, I got over my fat intake problem real fast :)

I say play around with the intakes and figure out whats best for you and whats going to help you lose weight. For me the lower in carbs I go the better but anything under 15 carbs I start to get feel light headed etc. I can also go "over" my carb intake of 20 per day but its always in the form of veggies.

I also have a sweet tooth and have found this diet has curbed my wanting of sugar. I allow myself a "treat" of no carb candy once in a while but nothing to the excess before.

I wish you luck in your journey :) Keto has been a life saver for me! I have never felt as great as I have in the last month!!
  • loopy2lol
    loopy2lol Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'n new to the forums, been a member for a while but never used them.

I am not new to low carb either but its always good to listen to others stories for a little inspiration. I started my dieting again a little over a month ago and doing well so far, i'm loosing approx 3lbs per week which is plenty and dropping the inches - so its all good. I'm enjoying my time at the gym and loving showing my moves at zumba (he he he). I just want to stay strong this time and get to my goal :-)

Keep up the hard work :-)

Loopy X
  • djf23
    Options
    My Macros are 60-70% fat 20-30% protien and the rest carbs.

I have been doing Keto for one month and lost 13 pounds (not bad for a women!) At first I had the issue of not wanting to eat as much fat etc cuz I thought it was bad etc. I learned the truth about fat and how our bodies need it if we arnt giving it carbs, I got over my fat intake problem real fast :)

I say play around with the intakes and figure out whats best for you and whats going to help you lose weight. For me the lower in carbs I go the better but anything under 15 carbs I start to get feel light headed etc. I can also go "over" my carb intake of 20 per day but its always in the form of veggies.

I also have a sweet tooth and have found this diet has curbed my wanting of sugar. I allow myself a "treat" of no carb candy once in a while but nothing to the excess before.

I wish you luck in your journey :) Keto has been a life saver for me! I have never felt as great as I have in the last month!!

too lose fat..one must eat lots of it haha

just because im stubborn i will stick to my current diet for another week and see how it goes, after that then i shall take on this high fat ratio

btw 13 pounds in a month is awesome
  • toshmago
    toshmago Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Bro,
    I just started Keto. I'm on day 11. I have dropped 14 pounds so far and am eating a ton more than you. Don't try to starve yourself to lose weight. Your a big guy like me. the more you eat the more you will lose. You just have to stay active and eat right. Go to bodybuilding.com and search KETO. they will link you to all the info you need to find out how many calories you need per day and then hit the weights. You have to keep up the resistance training on keto or you are going to lose muscle. feel free to check out my diary for an idea of calories. Just don't count today, I'm on a cheat day. LOL good luck
  • djf23
    Options
    Hey Bro,
    I just started Keto. I'm on day 11. I have dropped 14 pounds so far and am eating a ton more than you. Don't try to starve yourself to lose weight. Your a big guy like me. the more you eat the more you will lose. You just have to stay active and eat right. Go to bodybuilding.com and search KETO. they will link you to all the info you need to find out how many calories you need per day and then hit the weights. You have to keep up the resistance training on keto or you are going to lose muscle. feel free to check out my diary for an idea of calories. Just don't count today, I'm on a cheat day. LOL good luck

hey man

ive kinda uped the calories cause started working again so naturally eating quite bit more

im gonna put it up a bit more, well see how it goes

i registed for another month at gym , gotta hit the heavy weights haha

with all that protein going in might as well put it to use

ill check out that site, they always have good and proper info

thanks