Resources for "new" swimmer?

Options
EvilPink
EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
Hi All. I guess I'll introduce myself while I'm at it =) I joined MFP back in August but didn't get serious about losing until a month ago. So, here I am, just finished week 4 and down 19 lbs. Woot!

Growing up, we always had a swimming pool and we also lived on a farm with a big creek running through it. My parents, more for safety than any thing, made my siblings and me take swimming lessons for several years starting from the earliest age a lesson group would allow us to join. Around 7 I stopped taking lessons but have always loved to swim and was still in the water every chance I could but it was the typical child's play/recreation swim; certainly nothing of lap swims, breast strokes, butterfly, etc. that I had learned in lessons. But, when the weight started piling on; I was too embarrassed to ever go any where near water in bathing suit. But, I recently decided that nothing good is ever gained if you're not willing to look a little stupid on occasion and step out of the comfort zone so, went to my local Y and started swimming.

I realized that I have no idea what I'm doing, lol, and I remember very little from those lessons so many years ago. Right now I'm just swimming back and forth with no real form or method. Which, it's still exercise so I'm good with that but I would like to learn a little more about proper technique and form to make more of my workouts. Are there any websites or other resources or tips of your own to get me started? Much appreciated!

Replies

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few - I search on you tube eg you tube you swim (lots of clips) and use sites like Go Swim and swimsmooth and put in things to google like 'how to swim breaststroke'. I'd just google away til you find the ones that suit your personality/level/goals.

Have fun! Well done on your great start.
  • KylieAlyssa26
    Options
    I would recommend go swim as well it is a great site with videos, and tips

http://www.goswim.tv/
  • EvilPink
    Options
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your Y, but ours actually has classes you can take where one-one instruction takes place. You might want to look into that.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your Y, but ours actually has classes you can take where one-one instruction takes place. You might want to look into that.

I agree! Our rec center has private lessons that you can take. My son is autistic so he takes them at an off time(less people in the pool on sunday mornings) and she teaches an adult right after him that is just working on remembering the different strokes. I think swimming is one of those things that you can't watch a youtube video for, you have to have someone teach you :-)

Good luck!!
  • EvilPink
    Options
    Mine does have several different classes; water aerobics, group swim lessons, and one on one lessons but they're really high in demand so you have to register for them. The classes are still free with membership but so many members want to take the classes that you have to register and so far, I haven't been able to get in they're always full. Maybe one day I'll finally be able to score a spot in one of the classes but, in the meantime, I've just been making use of the open recreational swims and open lap swim times and just doing it on my own.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I learned to swim as a kid and swam for years before actually reaaally swimming, i.e. applying technique, after I had a car accident. At the time, swimming was the fastest and most reliable way for me to get my arm back in shape. For that I had to take private lessons first. It totally changed the experience. There is no way I could have learned through a video. One-on-one teaching was necessary. The Y is not the only place you can take classes. If your budget allows it, invest in private or semi-private class taught by someone experienced who actually teaches (or has taught or has been in ) competitive swim teams too. Check with local universities.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'd second the Y recommendation. that's where I started back as an adult swimmer. I'd also recommend that after you got the basic down join a masters group. great for work outs, clinic, coaching and such.
    http://www.usms.org/placswim/