The Possession

Options
BrendarB
BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
have you checked out the trailer - it's like a modern Exorcist - looks pretty fun!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/363548/the-possession#s-p1-sr-i0

Replies

• Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets annoyed when they say it's "based on a true story"? That just means it's based on some person who had mental problems and people who didn't know better said it was possession...
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets annoyed when they say it's "based on a true story"? That just means it's based on some person who had mental problems and people who didn't know better said it was possession...

I only get annoyed if they don't provide source material from which the story is based that people can actually look up and research. I mean hell by most standards people could claim The Hangover was based on a true story because people have gotten stupid drunk in Vegas lol. I think there are legit possession cases as ive seen and been part of some scary *kitten* I know its not always just a crazy person.

btw this movie looks like it has potential but im always skeptical of possession/exorcism movies till I see them.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why.. but possession stories just creep me out. They always have ever since I was younger. I can watch a good monster movie, a good slasher movie, or any other kind of supernatural spookiness, but when it starts being about possession (more towards demonic possession) I get really uncomfortable.

I think its the whole 'lack of control to something you cant fight' kind of thing. Becoming the ultimate victim. I hate being the victim of circumstance, and with possession stories, you're just that.

I remember watching the movie "The Faculty" when I was younger. It was about an alien parasite that controlled people, you know the whole invasion story. I would always have nightmares for a few days after that of people I knew or loved trying to take me, or even the process of being taken over myself. Anything foriegn entering your body and taking control is I think the one kind of horror I dont like. Especially since the current trend for possession stories is to taunt the ones trying to save the possessie and twisting and contorting the bodies in impossible ways. Which brings me to something I dont quite get on the movie "Drag Me to Hell" when they call the demon to the seance table and it ends up going into this guy, <WARNING: SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HASNT SEEN THE MOVIE AND STILL WANT TO, STOP READING> who ends up spitting out the cat that the main character had tried sacrificing earlier in the film. How was the guy able to do that without having the cat previously inside his body?

That said, that movie looks pretty freaky!
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    I have no idea why.. but possession stories just creep me out. They always have ever since I was younger. I can watch a good monster movie, a good slasher movie, or any other kind of supernatural spookiness, but when it starts being about possession (more towards demonic possession) I get really uncomfortable.

I think its the whole 'lack of control to something you cant fight' kind of thing. Becoming the ultimate victim. I hate being the victim of circumstance, and with possession stories, you're just that.

I remember watching the movie "The Faculty" when I was younger. It was about an alien parasite that controlled people, you know the whole invasion story. I would always have nightmares for a few days after that of people I knew or loved trying to take me, or even the process of being taken over myself. Anything foriegn entering your body and taking control is I think the one kind of horror I dont like. Especially since the current trend for possession stories is to taunt the ones trying to save the possessie and twisting and contorting the bodies in impossible ways. Which brings me to something I dont quite get on the movie "Drag Me to Hell" when they call the demon to the seance table and it ends up going into this guy, <WARNING: SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HASNT SEEN THE MOVIE AND STILL WANT TO, STOP READING> who ends up spitting out the cat that the main character had tried sacrificing earlier in the film. How was the guy able to do that without having the cat previously inside his body?

Oh man i forgot all about The Faculty haha thats funny.

Have you seen The Unborn yet?
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    sort of like - and yes, I'm probably dating myself - The original Beastmaster movie with the thing they put in the ear - I still can't sleep at night without something covering my ears
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    sort of like - and yes, I'm probably dating myself - The original Beastmaster movie with the thing they put in the ear - I still can't sleep at night without something covering my ears

LOL I forgot all about The Beastmaster oh man now I wanna watch that again
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options

No. I did see another possession one that was really creepy. It was a this farmers daughter and a 'phoney' exorcist that got into to middle of a real possession of the daughter. It was creepy and cult-like

JM
  • istalkzombies
    Options

No. I did see another possession one that was really creepy. It was a this farmers daughter and a 'phoney' exorcist that got into to middle of a real possession of the daughter. It was creepy and cult-like

JM

The Last Exorcism! It was pretty good until the ending where it just felt like they gave up and didn't know how to end it so they just said screw it and left it at that
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

I saw The Unborn. Some of the images in that movie haunted me. The old man and that black thing in the room sitting on the chair (written to not include spoilers) being the images in question.
  • istalkzombies
    Options

I saw The Unborn. Some of the images in that movie haunted me. The old man and that black thing in the room sitting on the chair (written to not include spoilers) being the images in question.

Ya it was a better movie than I expected it to be, wont buy it but its a good one to rent every once in a while, it was kinda a weird twist on possession/haunting tho wasnt it?
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

Ya it was a better movie than I expected it to be, wont buy it but its a good one to rent every once in a while, it was kinda a weird twist on possession/haunting tho wasnt it?

oh yea really interesting. Like it had to get stronger and could only do certain things from time to time. It was cool though how it needed to be in a body, otherwise it was nothing but whispers and scary images. But when it finally did do stuff.. man it was creepy. I cant say that I will watch it again for fun, but I will watch it again to show someone the movie. wish I had split irisus though lol
  • istalkzombies
    Options

oh yea really interesting. Like it had to get stronger and could only do certain things from time to time. It was cool though how it needed to be in a body, otherwise it was nothing but whispers and scary images. But when it finally did do stuff.. man it was creepy. I cant say that I will watch it again for fun, but I will watch it again to show someone the movie. wish I had split irisus though lol

LOL ya I thought it was a neat little twist if it had better special effects it'd been a lot better I thought
  • TakeMyWifePlease
    Options

I agree. The "based on a true story" marketing ploy worked really well for things like the original Texas Chainsaw and even the original Amityville Horror but now they slap it on any exorcism or ghost movie.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So I went and saw this today. Anyone else? I actually enjoyed it however not scary in the least but still an nice watch, not sure what it was about it I liked so much but I did, cause it was predictable and all the remotely good scenes were ruined by the trailers. I also watched ParaNorman this weekend as well and enjoyed it too.

Plus another topic but I want to see Sinister so badly but fear it will be like Possession where everything is shown in the trailers :(
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I'll probably wait till it's out on dvd to see it
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    So I went and saw this today. Anyone else? I actually enjoyed it however not scary in the least but still an nice watch, not sure what it was about it I liked so much but I did, cause it was predictable and all the remotely good scenes were ruined by the trailers. I also watched ParaNorman this weekend as well and enjoyed it too.

Plus another topic but I want to see Sinister so badly but fear it will be like Possession where everything is shown in the trailers :(

I saw Paranorman last night. What are your thoughts on it?
  • jrhstarlight
    Options
    I laughed so much however with most kid movies the humor is geared more towards adults. I felt the ending was a little weak for the movie. I did have issues with a few other things in the kid movie I felt were unnecessary but again unfortunately movies do this quite often putting more adult themes or comments into it. For example maybe a tad much having zombie flesh hanging off their faces and Alvin grabbing the sister's butt. Overall I really enjoyed going and seeing it cause of the humor and some of the differences making it stand out. No I didn't see it in 3D.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    I laughed so much however with most kid movies the humor is geared more towards adults. I felt the ending was a little weak for the movie. I did have issues with a few other things in the kid movie I felt were unnecessary but again unfortunately movies do this quite often putting more adult themes or comments into it. For example maybe a tad much having zombie flesh hanging off their faces and Alvin grabbing the sister's butt. Overall I really enjoyed going and seeing it cause of the humor and some of the differences making it stand out. No I didn't see it in 3D.

I thought that the little tidbits that were thrown in for adults were really cleverly added and would go over most of the kids' heads. <but with the way kids are going, maybe not> and some parts were very very funny for me. Some parts were a little weak, story wise, and like you said the ending was a little.. weak as well. But as far as the visuals went, it was a beautiful movie. I saw it in 3D because I had those movie passes. I would not pay full price for that movie in 3D again. You didnt miss anything.

..but the glasses were cool. They were green with the "PARANORMAN!" logo on the sidee.
  • jrhstarlight
    Options
    Yea I have been hearing about these glasses, that might would have been worth it to me :P but alas I didn't want to pay extra for the 3D and neither did my friend.
  • wrathofophelia
    Options

LOL I forgot all about The Beastmaster oh man now I wanna watch that again

The first time I ever saw this movie, that ear-leech scene was what stuck with me for years afterward. That and the scene where the no-mouth bat-people liquify and drink that dude and then spit out his clothes in a puddle of green slime.