Add Even More for Nursing?

oldmanswife
oldmanswife Posts: 35 Member
Should I add even more calories for breastfeeding, even if my Fat2Fit number is already at 2274?
Any one else here nursing full time?

TIA! :)

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Yes indeed you should add those cals :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Yep, if you are nursing fulltime a young one, I hear it is about 500 cals and a parttime nurser (4-5times a day) from 200-300 calories on top of your cut. That is important! So determine how much milk you are providing and find the calories for creating it and eat them up!
  • oldmanswife
    I know I make a ton of milk. Making it is not an issue. My guy is HUGE and eats at least 10 times in 24 hours. Maybe 30-40 ounces a day, no idea. He is 5 months old. I just want to make sure my body isn't being screwed with by not eating enough to drop pounds, make sense...? I had been adding the 500 (taking me to 2000-2100) until about a month ago and now I have been plateaued for about a month. ;) Anyway, I am adding 400 to my previous 1850 to bring my to 2250 for 5 weeks, then will increase from there if I need to. Thanks so much for the quick replies!
    I wonder if I will need to go to 2750, yikes!
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    I know I make a ton of milk. Making it is not an issue. My guy is HUGE and eats at least 10 times in 24 hours. Maybe 30-40 ounces a day, no idea. He is 5 months old. I just want to make sure my body isn't being screwed with by not eating enough to drop pounds, make sense...? I had been adding the 500 (taking me to 2000-2100) until about a month ago and now I have been plateaued for about a month. ;) Anyway, I am adding 400 to my previous 1850 to bring my to 2250 for 5 weeks, then will increase from there if I need to. Thanks so much for the quick replies!
    I wonder if I will need to go to 2750, yikes!

You're supposed to burn 20 calories for every ounce of milk! You must be burning a ton!
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    The average intake for a 5 mo old is 25 oz
  • oldmanswife
    Thank you. I'm adding Breastfeeding 30 oz. per day to my diary, taking me to 2400 while my Fat2Fit said to eat 2250. I am going to try this and see how it goes. We co-sleep and baby nurses several times each night, so I am convinced he is at the high end of the scale compared to other 5 month old babies.

I even weighed his closed wet diaper this a.m. on my food scale. And quickly cleaned the scale. ;) TMI!
    It was 6.2 ounces, while the fresh new diaper was .8 ounces.

Thanks again!

IMG_1770.jpg
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member

IMG_1770.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

*makes 'baby wanna be picked up?' sign*

Too cute and snuggly!!!!