Terrified of W5D3!

Options
spotteddrafter
spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
Hi, all.

I am new to the group and am terrified of W5D3. So far I've been getting through each week without having to repeat, but there is a real mental block surrounding the entire W5 for me. So much so that I even skipped yesterday's scheduled W5D1! I got up this morning and knocked it out, but in 2 days I'm supposed to do 2 8-min jogs and then in 2 more days I'm supposed to jog for 20 minutes straight?!?

Anyone else been there? Any tips? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Well, I was just about to start on W3D1 when I just started running and didn't stop for 35 minutes. You don't know what you are capable of until you actually do it!! Just put on your music and let your mind go. Pretty much everyone who has gone through this program has gotten to W5D3 and totally surprised themselves. I think you will surprise yourself too, just don't psych yourself out. 20 minutes is actually not that bad, if you're not focused on the stopwatch!
  • hcdawg
    hcdawg Posts: 69
    Options
    Just did the Week 5 Day 3 yesterday!! I really dreaded it from the beginning but it went well and I made it the 20 minutes without walking!!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great job Hcdawg!! I was so surprised that I could even do 3 minutes but yesterday I surprised myself by doing almost 6 minutes uphill most of it (accidentally ran longer since I didn't hear the voice say stop).

Challenge and motivate yourself to get it done!! You got this far! You can do it! I am almost to week 5, trying not to think of the 20 minute run that if you asked me a few months ago would've been near impossible. But at this point it is more on the side of possibly most likely happening!! Get it girl!
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I just did W5d3 on Saturday. I dreaded it the whole week! I did it! I felt so good about myself after. A pinched nerve in my neck has postponed the start of week six until tomorrow. I'm hoping that the run won't be terrible due to the4 day break. Have faith in yourself. You can do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • happydaze82
    happydaze82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone here -- I was terrified as well but the day I did it, I just kept saying well, I'll do the best I can. And the 20 minutes went by and I couldn't believe it! You can definitely do it :)
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I needed this post. I just finished week 4 today and I'm a little afraid of next week. I'm going to give it my all though
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Just go nice and slow. I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to run 20 minutes straight, but I did! It felt great. Don't be afraid, if you can't make it 20 minutes, it's not the end of the world. Just try again the next day. I'm about to head out for week 6 day 2.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm going in for my 20m run tomorrow and i'm a little worried too. Let us know how it went!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I was terrified of the 20 min jog so much so that on W5D3 i turned up at the gym and said to myself well ill try if I cant ill come back some other day and try again if i can manage 12-14 min ill be happy

coming up on 18-19 min i felt so good that i actually graduated from C25K on that day and did 6.1K on the treadmill

Ive since taken my running outside and done 10K :bigsmile:

keep on going and HAPPY RUNNING :drinker:
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the wonderful comments - today was THE day....and I killed it! :):):) It was definitely the most mentally challenging day, but I was able to overcome it and it's done! Today was also the first day that I able to let my mind wander and I wasn't searching for the time. I did look a couple of times, just to see where I was....I about fell over when the first time I looked I was already 9+ minutes into it! The next time I looked, I had 6 minutes left!

Today is also the first day where I finished and immediately looked forward to the next day. Today is the day that I actually "liked" running and see how easily it could be to become hooked to it.

To all who are on the journey, if this 5'9" 240# 34yo girl who has never run can do it....you can too!