Whole wheat pasta/rice

Options
Ive tried it out a couple of times and am not a big fan. I've heard arguments from both sides about how it is very beneficial and others saying there's not much of a difference.

I had oringally thought about switching over but am thinking I will probably not really be able to stick with it for the long haul, and I want to enjoy what I eat!

Do you eat pasta and rice on a regular basis? I think that as long as I stay within reasonable portions and all I can keep them as a part of my foods. Any thoughts or experiences on this?

Replies

• jlshaw77
    jlshaw77 Posts: 23
    Options
    I do still eat pasta and rice but much less at a time. I try to figure out how much for a reasonable amount of calories and go from there. I have chosen to go with whole wheat pasta and brown rice but I too have heard others make the argument against them or that it doesn't really matter that much. Do what you are comfortable with and keep the portions down.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've switched to quinoa. Target carries quinoa spaghetti and the local grocery store carries elbow macaroni and mini shells. I don't like the taste of any other pasta anymore.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    I would argue that there IS a difference between whole wheat pasta and enriched pasta and brown/white rice. That being said it is recommended that at least HALF of your grains come from whole grain sources. So if you don't prefer the whole grain versions of these two things could you try whole grain versions of other things... whole wheat bread, bagels, muffins etc......or could you try half whole wheat pasta/half enriched. or hapa rice (that's half brown/half white)? I had to do this for my daughter until she got used to the difference. I also like some brands of whole wheat pasta better than others so try some different products. There is also one pasta that is half whole wheat/half white.

I also agree in watching portion sizes.....a portion of pasta or rice is only 1/2 cup. i wonder how much a typical restaurant serving of pasta is..I bet 4 cups or more and don't get me started on the endless plate concept? A typical rice serving where I am is 2 generous cups!
  • ashley67203
    ashley67203 Posts: 95
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta is better if you pad it out with vegetables. The weird texture isn't as noticeable. It's also better hot than cold so if I'm making a pasta salad I go with the 51 percent whole wheat instead of 100 percent.

I agree that quinoa pasta is awesome. Have you noticed that it seems to soak up liquid in a sauce more than wheat pasta? It's not really a bad thing, just weird.

I can't eat brown rice pasta. There is something about its texture that I can't get past - and this is coming from a girl who will eat darn near anything.

We still eat brown and basmati rice but we stay away from plain white and jasmine rice and keep portions to half a cup cooked.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a difference when it comes to weight loss. Whole grains are just healthier but as long as you are eating within your calories then it doesn't matter.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    calorie-wise it doesn't matter. 300 cals of pasta is 300 cals of pasta whether you go wheat or white. Nutrition-wise though? You need to make sure you're getting enough whole grains and you simply won't get that from white pasta. I eat whole grain pasta/rice/couscous most days of the week. SO like somene else said, if you're not into the whole wheat pasta/brown rice, then make sure you're eating whole grain bread/ whole wheat tortillas etc. I personally don't notice a huge difference texture wise and acutally prefer wheat pasta to white because it's firmer. Potato potahto.