How do you hit your protein goals?

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
I mean with so many calories, the amount of protein is high.
I need suggestions. I'm still nursing my son, and he's allergic to dairy, egg whites and peanuts. So it really cuts out some major protein I can eat. I just started eating almond butter (and let me tell you, for a PB-loving mama who hasn't had it in MONTHS, that *kitten* is awesome!)
Most protein powders I have found seem to still contain milk even though it's soy.
I need suggestions on what to eat. Thanks

Replies

• nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options

I'm still nursing my son, and he's allergic to dairy, egg whites and peanuts.

How old is your son? How do you know he is allergic to these products? What does reactions look like? How long as it been since you consumed any of these products?

Yes, I'm nosy but very unusual for babies to react to what mom is eating. And I have heard so bizarre stories from moms on what their primary care provider has told them in regards to allergies. Just curious on more background info. You could always message me. Hate to have a mom eliminating foods from their diet because they are breastfeeding!

WTG breastfeeding! Breastfeeding moms ROCK! :bigsmile:
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Mandys_Getting_Fit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat Kashi Go Lean ~ HIgh Protein & High Fiber cereal with 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk just about every morning. It has 13g of protein in a 52g (1-cup) serving. It's delicious topped with fresh fruit!

I also use organic almond butter. Chicken breasts, grilled shrimp, tuna or other fish, black beans in side dishes or chickpeas over salads. Pork rinds (if you like them) have 9g of protein in a single serving. Quinoa and other whole grains have protein. Sunflower seeds have a bit of protein. I was recently surprised to find out how much protein is in asparagus!
  • mdhughes33
    mdhughes33 Posts: 40
    Options
    Shakeology. Cliff Bars. Nut butters. But, I love Shakeology!
  • JenJenS5
    JenJenS5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions, but i am severely allergic to all nuts. Anyone else out there with other suggestions?
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I'm still nursing my son, and he's allergic to dairy, egg whites and peanuts.

How old is your son? How do you know he is allergic to these products? What does reactions look like? How long as it been since you consumed any of these products?

Yes, I'm nosy but very unusual for babies to react to what mom is eating. And I have heard so bizarre stories from moms on what their primary care provider has told them in regards to allergies. Just curious on more background info. You could always message me. Hate to have a mom eliminating foods from their diet because they are breastfeeding!

WTG breastfeeding! Breastfeeding moms ROCK! :bigsmile:

he's 15 months old. He was tested for allergies because we tried whole milk when he turned one. He broke out in a rash. We tried again, same thing. so we had him tested. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure he reacts when I eat these things. not physically, but more he doesn't sleep and he gets gas. esp when I eat dairy
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with Sunbutter! Perfect for those with a nut allergy. Also look into coconut butter. I'd have to think on this more....
  • Jentaylor0295
    Jentaylor0295 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I feel you, I'm allergic to a TON of foods eggs and all nuts being a part of that list. For protein I eat chickpeas in my salads, lots of chicken, lean ground turkey (for burgers). You could easily double your protein by upping your portions. if you normally eat 3 oz you can double that. Every little bit helps :)

Hope that helps a bit.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel for you - I can't live without cottage cheese and eggs and whey protein powder...
    But, I just added a humongous 52grams of protein in one sitting - gorged on a lovely rare T bone steak - 350 grams, and that much protein!! I need to lie down a bit....:tongue: So cook lots of chicken and eat that throughout the day, lean steaks and jerky maybe?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
    Chicken breast
    hard boiled eggs
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    I posted this in another post, but chia seeds contain 3g protein in a 2 tbsp serving. Not a ton, but you can add them to salads or smoothies as they have no flavor. I ate some plain just to check, and they literally taste like nothing. Might be an easy way to add calories too for those who have trouble eating all of theirs. 2 tbsp has 70 calories, 3g protein and 6g dietary fiber. They are also high in omega 3s which is important for me because I don't like fish/seafood.

If you like almond butter, try sunbutter too... also really yummy. Do you eat much soy? Could soy or coconut milk yogurt work for you?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    :( I am vegetarian which makes it 5x harder.
  • mdhughes33
    mdhughes33 Posts: 40
    Options
    :( I am vegetarian which makes it 5x harder.

Strawberry shakeology is vegan.