Clubbells?

Options
40Marbles
40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
Okay kettlebell folks - have any of you looked into clubbells? I've seen some stuff on youtube and they look like a great complement to kettlebells.

DH made me some to try out of pvc and I really like the motion. The real things are pretty expensive but I might have to splurge somewhere down the line.

Replies

• hubie316
    hubie316 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't use them, but my mom does as part of her routine and says they've really helped with flexibility and movement. I've heard them called " Indian Clubs" before, so I had to look up club bells. The set my mom has is on Dragondoor for $60 with a DVD.
  • 40Marbles
    Options
    I've seen those, and the lighter weight ones seem like they would be great for mobility.

I'm thinking more towards a pair of 10 or 15 lb. clubs with workouts from Scott Sonnon or Shane Heins.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use wooden Indian Clubs for shoulder mobility. For those, i purchased some stuff from Dragon Door (Club Swinging Essentials) to help get me going. I've got some basic exercises that i've cobbled together from the book/dvd.

Odd story: i recently found several sets of old Indian Clubs in the back of the supply room in the gym at the school i'm working at. They did used to be a very popular form of excercise many years ago.

I've also built a set of clubbells out of pipes & sand, and also picked up a set of 6 kg ones. I use them, but i don't really have any good exercises that i do with them yet...much of the Indian Club stuff doesn't translate well over to clubbells (at least for me - maybe it does eventually, but not for me yet - not strong enough!). To me, despite the shape, they seem pretty different in terms of what you'd actually do with them.

Lately i've been using sandbags more than the clubbells.
  • 40Marbles
    Options
    Yeah, we made a pair of 1 1/2" pipes with sand, about 2-3 lb. each, and a pair of 1 1/2" inch pipes with a 4" pipe section filled with sand, about 7 lb. each.

I'm not doing much with them yet either. I saw some videos of swipes, which I like because of the full-body aspect.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The guys at the plumbing supply store looked worried when i was buying all the parts to make it.
  • 40Marbles
    Options
    I believe it! My daughters were putting the really big curved pipes on their arms and doing "muscleman" poses with them.