So confused. Can anyone enlighten me ?

Options
Elizabeth_M
Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
Ok. So I calculated my BMR to be 1438. My TDEE is 2054 (lightly active). With a 500 calories deficit it's 1554 calories a day. Can I not eat the exercise calories back? Or, since the exercise is already factored into that, do I NOT eat them back?

I like to input the calories burned though - and sometimes, the daily burn is different - or the weeks are different. COuld I find out my BMR and TDEE if I were sedentary and THEN eat the exercise calories back?

Thanks so much for everyone's help, if you can! :)

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it back, unless you burn an unholy amount (like I do on long runs - then you will be hungry, so feel free to eat some of it back ....I add mine too, but look at my home page, and it shows the net calories for the day - if it is under my BMR, I eat it back up to the BMR, regardless of what it shows as my target for the day...Make sure you at least net your BMR...
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    Thank you for your help. :) I can't see your home page, though - but I understand what you mean. :) Thanks again!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would say is don't do a flat 500 calorie reduction. You're not guaranteed a pound loss a week with 500 cals and you might be putting yourself over 15% reduction by using a flat number.

Partly why EM2WL works is because we don't use any flat number for everyone- it's individualized.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! It's very helpful to read all of the sticky notes or pinned notes at the very beginning of this group. Some are long, but soooo worth it. Helped me a ton, as well as private messaging Lucia with all my stats! Everyone on here is very helpful and supportive! Good luck!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would say is don't do a flat 500 calorie reduction. You're not guaranteed a pound loss a week with 500 cals and you might be putting yourself over 15% reduction by using a flat number.

Partly why EM2WL works is because we don't use any flat number for everyone- it's individualized.

I agree with this. One of the reasons you target a percentage vs. a flat number is that as you near your goal weight you can't eat at as large as a deficit. Even at the higher 20% cut, you would still only target 400 calories deficit.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    To OP: You said you're using "light activity" in your TDEE calculation. Please make sure that is correct. Light activity is just 1-3 hours of activity a week. Moderate activity is 3-5 hours of activity a week.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. :) I can't see your home page, though - but I understand what you mean. :) Thanks again!

LOL, as long as you understand :happy: - it can be helpful to look at "your" home page too! :bigsmile:
  • Elizabeth_M
    Options
    thanks everyone! I have 'talked' with Lucia a little while ago, and I am still confused, which is why I posted. :)

I put light, but I am a teacher (SK) and am on my feet for many hours a day. I don't know if that would bump me up to moderate. And I don't burn the same number of calories every week, so I thought I would be safe and choose 'light'.

That's why I wanted to know if I could set it to 'sedentary' and then eat the exercise calories back.

Thanks for the tip about the flat 500 calories reduction. I will change it to 15 or 20%.

:)