Weightlifting doesn't show up as calories burned on MFP???

Options
Rennae9
Rennae9 Posts: 61 Member
Helooooooo,

Not sure if I am in the right place for this question but here goes. I lifted weights yesterday and plugged in all my stuff and it doesn't give me the minus "such and such" calories so does MFP think we don't burn calories while lifting or is it to difficult to calculate an approx. amount burned.

Thanks in advance for any info :flowerforyou:

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I log it under cardio- strength/weight training and it gives you the cals. burned.
  • Rennae9
    Options
    Thanks I will try that.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    You should get a chest-strap Heart rate monitor and use it when you're working out. It will show you calories burned. I personally put that under the Cardio section on MFP and put in the calories there. Works for me. I know that I burned those calories.
  • Rennae9
    Options
    Well it works but since I am new to lifting I have started a routine that takes me only 20 minutes. I put that in MFP cardio section and I burned a whole 52 calories. But I feel good lifting that is for sure.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    When I do strength training at home for about 30 minutes, I usually burn about 300 calories.
    I just did an ab workout (pretty intense one) for 20 minutes (actually more like 16 minutes), I burned 126 calories.
    So I think 52 calories for 20 minutes is very underestimated. And it really depends on how intense your workout is, if you take lost of breaks, how heavy you're lifting, if you're lifting slowly or not, etc.
  • pgrimm
    pgrimm Posts: 3
    Options
    When I do strength training at home for about 30 minutes, I usually burn about 300 calories.
    I just did an ab workout (pretty intense one) for 20 minutes (actually more like 16 minutes), I burned 126 calories.
    So I think 52 calories for 20 minutes is very underestimated. And it really depends on how intense your workout is, if you take lost of breaks, how heavy you're lifting, if you're lifting slowly or not, etc.

Chokis ~ what kind of strength training do you do? I can't ever get that high a calorie burn from lifting. I need to step it up a notch!!
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Thats so great to know! Thanks for sharing that. Mine are always low on MFP, and I know my heart rate goes up quite a bit even with 20 lbs of dumbells. It's a great argument for getting a heart rate monitor. Next paycheck for me!
  • Rennae9
    Options
    That is a great idea getting the heart rate monitor. Thanks for the advice. :smile:
  • mlc825
    mlc825 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just used the same thing under cardio and apparently I only burned 184 calories. I disagree with this, but it's better than nothing!
  • redmamacita
    redmamacita Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    definitely invest in a chest strap HR monitor. i got my watch/band combo at walmart for around $50 and it works really well.

try increasing your weights a little and/or reducing your "rest time" between sets. your HR should elevate a decent amount while weight training, so you should be burning more calories.