Ebb and flow in energy levels and satiety

Options
mjslazak
mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
I stumbled on this posting for the "Eat More, Weigh Less" group, and found it very interesting as I think it describes some of what I've been experiencing after all these years of eating SAD and trying calorie restriction.

I know just this weekend I really hit a wall and felt like I could not sleep enough. Today I feel like I could eat my arm off. Not the same order as discussed, but I think there may be something to this.

Does it sound familiar to any of you?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/604089-patterns-emerging-for-hunger-satiety-energy-and-fatigue?page=1#posts-8709908

Quote:
"While avoiding my lastest uni assignment I was researching the nature of hypermetabolic response (increased metabolism) due to increased calorie intake after a period of calorie restriction. Its most relevant to ED people but thinking back on when I upped my calories to above my BMR I had a response that seems to be repeated by a few others in the eat more group.

1. 1200 and not hungry dont want to eat more,
2. Up calories feel overfull
3. After two days of eating more I am ravenous and want even more food.
4. Feel energised and "active" continue to eat at new calorie level
5. Energy disappears for three weeks and I am exhausted.
6. Energy starts to return and I stabilize.

So how many went through step 5? I've been wondering if the metabolic response "overshoots" and for a short period of time even with the raised amount of calories you can still be undereating as the calculators out there dont take into account the metabolic response that occurs when you first start eating properly after restricting calories for a time.

This is an extract describing the hypermetabolic state experienced by recovering ED people. -

When recovering from a state of prolonged starvation, an individual suffering from anorexia will enter a hypermetabolic state. During the period of starvation, the body will enter a lowered metabolic state. When the patient begins eating a normal diet once again, the body's metabolism shoots up dramatically before stabilizing. "

Replies

• missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I wonder what kind of foods this person was eating? Very interesting post!
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting. And as someone that is recovering from an ED, I have to say, I have experienced this in many forms through the years.