Protein Balls, muffins, pancakes etc..

Options
burbanum
burbanum Posts: 38 Member
Hi all. i am looking for some creative ways to get more protein in. I use protein drinks and shakes, but love variety and wonder if you have any ideas on recipes for protein balls, pancakes, muffins, etc that are not too complicated to make on your own. I have seen them listed in some food diaries and am hoping those that eat them can shed some light on how to make them. Thanks so much.

Brittany

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use the Pumpkin Protein Muffin recipe from the recipes board. I either make pumpkin or banana nut (substitute 4 mashed bananas and 1/4 cup of walnuts for the spices and pumpkin puree) muffins--I LOVE them both! Taste just like real muffins.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390630-super-easy-pumpkin-protein-muffins
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have made this in the past and they are good for on the go or protein packed snacks. The recipe is from OxygenMag.com
    I usually just use whatever I have on hand in terms of veggies to add and use Canadian bacon instead of turkey bacon

Ready in 40 minutes • Makes 12 servings

Ingredients:
    •Oil spray
    •4 scallions, minced
    •2 carrots, shredded
    •1/2 red pepper, minced
    •1/2 zucchini, shredded
    •14 egg whites
    •4 whole eggs
    •1/2 tsp basil
    •1/4 tsp oregano
    •Dash sea salt and pepper
    Instructions:
    1.Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-muffin tin with a little oil to prevent sticking.
    2.Combine vegetables in a big bowl. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with vegetables.
    3.Whisk eggs and seasonings in a large mixing bowl.
    4.Use a 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop egg mixture and pour slowly into each muffin tin. Egg mixture should fill tin the rest of the way. Bake 30 minutes or until muffins have risen and are slightly browned.
    Nutrients per serving (98 g):
    Calories: 56, Total Fats: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 0.5 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 71 mg, Sodium: 93 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 3 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 7 g, Iron: 0.5 mg
  • burbanum
    burbanum Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will try these...anyone know what peanut butter protein balls are? I have heard of them but do not know what they are.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of variations of protein balls. I even have sunbutter protein balls in my fridge now. Almond or hazelnut butter is great, too.

Here is a recipe I have been using lately:

http://chockohlawtay.blogspot.com/2012/05/chocolate-peanut-butter-protein-balls.html

It doesn't make very many but it takes few ingredients and does the job! The whole site has great recipes using protein powder. I am always on the look out for protein ball recipes!
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of variations of protein balls. I even have sunbutter protein balls in my fridge now. Almond or hazelnut butter is great, too.

Here is a recipe I have been using lately:

http://chockohlawtay.blogspot.com/2012/05/chocolate-peanut-butter-protein-balls.html

It doesn't make very many but it takes few ingredients and does the job! The whole site has great recipes using protein powder. I am always on the look out for protein ball recipes!

Thanks for sharing. I have almond butter - not much of a fan, nothing beats real peanut butter IMHO - but this looks like a great way to use it!
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe exactly, but yesterday I read on the boards about mixing chocolate protein powder with greek yogurt and adding strawberries. I did this today and it was like chocolate pudding. So yummy and a ton of protein.

Those chocolate pb protein balls look really good, too. :smile:
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had protein ice cream for breakfast today. Actually i was trying use up the last of a protein powder that I really don't care for and only had time to do it this morning. Chucked it in my ice cream maker with some milk, greek yogurt, cocoa powder, sugar, and coconut extract. It came out so good, I had a bowl for breakfast. Kind of wish I had some now, but I'm at work until 7 am. LOL
  • terrigrace
    Options
    I took a look at chockohlawtay's blog, wow! A ton of really amazing looking recipes. Try this link too:

http://chockohlawtay.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein-Powder
  • terrigrace
    Options
    I need to go make some nutella protein cookies now.
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    I make oatmeal n cottage cheese pancakes... 50g oats, 100g cottage cheese, 2 eggs and little cinnomen. Blend together and fry using fry light or healthy oil.

Serves 2 or 1 if you fancy a big brekki!

Great served with tsp peanut butter n Chopped banana :-)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal n cottage cheese pancakes... 50g oats, 100g cottage cheese, 2 eggs and little cinnomen. Blend together and fry using fry light or healthy oil.

Serves 2 or 1 if you fancy a big brekki!

Great served with tsp peanut butter n Chopped banana :-)

I made these after you posted it in another thread. I liked them. I replaced the cinnamon with vanilla and added some salt and tossed a bunch of blueberries in there. Yummy!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I posted my oatmeal cottage cheese pancakes recipe in the recipe sticky if you want to check it out :)
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    One of my recipes.....Peanut butter protein balls

1/2 cup natural peanut butter
    3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder (or you could use protein powder)
    1/2 cup ground flax seed
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup raisins
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds
    Make into balls and roll in 1/2 cup toasted rice cereal.

Mine made 16 balls at 134 cals each with 5 g protein
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    And another........No bake protein bars. Makes 10 with 14 g protein and 173 cals

5 T natural peanut butter
    1 cup old fashioned oats
    6 scoops protein powder
    1 t vanilla extract
    1 T ground flax seed
    1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
    2 T dark chocolate chips
    1/8 cup sunflower seeds

Mix it all up and press into pan. Keep in fridge.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    One of my recipes.....Peanut butter protein balls

1/2 cup natural peanut butter
    3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder (or you could use protein powder)
    1/2 cup ground flax seed
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup raisins
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds
    Make into balls and roll in 1/2 cup toasted rice cereal.

Mine made 16 balls at 134 cals each with 5 g protein

I have made protein balls and replaced the milk powder with protein powder and they turned out great!