Don't let the "bucket-dippers" get you down!

Options
Summerlove1993
Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
HAVE YOU FILLED A BUCKET TODAY? If you haven't heard this before, this is the title of a wonderful children's book that teaches children how to be kind and thoughtful rather than hurtful. "Bucket-fillers" brighten up other people's days with their kind remarks and actions. "Bucket-dippers" use their words and actions to knock others down.

I make it my business to encourage bucket-filling in my household & classroom. I try very hard to be a bucket-filler myself. Unfortunately, there are so many bucket-dippers surrounding all of us, and they can really take the wind out of your sails.

Yesterday, my bucket was filled by most of the people I came across whether it was the doctor's office (receptionist, not so much). The doctor, nurse, and office staff were so friendly and supportive. The cashier at the grocery store was really nice. My family was great.

Today, my other doctor's office was really off. Although I was on time for my appointment, and I was kept waiting for a few minutes, the receptionist wouldn't let me use the bathroom, because any second, the nurse was coming to get me. Well, I ended up having enough time to go to the bathroom 5 times while I waited. Then, my doctor wasn't satisfied with my weight loss, and when I tried to tell him what I've accomplished, and how I've done it, he brushed me off and told me he'd see me in September. Fast forward to Dunkin Donuts where the man behind me sighed heavily as I chose a doughnut for my daughter and took two seconds longer than he would have liked to pick one out. I turned around, smiled at him, and completely disarmed him. I choose to be extra friendly and tolerant of these crabby people. They must be having a bad day, and I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. It would be easy for me to allow them to make me feel bad, but people can only make you feel bad if you allow them to do so.

It isn't hard to be nice to people. It isn't hard to be patient with them. It is all about deciding to be nice, patient, tolerant, and thoughtful.

Don't let the bucket-dippers get you down! Fill someone's bucket today!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Summer,
    You are so right. Our school has adapted the bucket concepts and all I can say is I wish I had this when my daughter was growing up. I'm am making it my personal project to be grateful for someone every day and tell them. It's part of Oprah's Year of Gratitude. It is amazing how much it fill you up when you are grateful to someone else.

I know this is non of my business, but have you considered changing docs? Really, the guy is supposed to be all about health and here he is spreading stress like a little demi-god. That's soooo 1950's. OK...I won't mention it again.

Glad you could turn around your bucket dipping experience into a bucket filling experience at the donut shop. You ARE in control of what happens inside you and you determined to have a great day. Way to be a leader for all of us.

Have a great long weekend. I'm sure you deserve a bit of a break before the onslaught of the end of the year business!

blessings,
    Marcia
  • pbaker8307
    pbaker8307 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My high school is reorganizing into small learning communities for next year. There are a lot of bucket-dippers in my school that just think if they dig in their heels nothing will really change. I am not against the change but I did have to change my community this week. I had to leave a community that I helped establish and even named in order to have a change in my teaching schedule for next year. All I wanted was to loop with the autistic students that I have in my Geometry class this year...they will be taking Algebra 2. This change has really got me down....but will get over it.....I know am doing the right thing for these students.
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the sacrifice you had to make for those kids. They are so lucky to have a teacher who could be flexible for them. That is really the marker of a special caring and successful teacher. I'm in the elementary level and there are schools that just have a negative attitude about change. My school used to be one of them, but with new leadership and a few retirements we are positive and forward thinking. Hopefully this new team will welcome you as the special teacher you are. Good Luck!!