Is this how I figure my net?

graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
I haven't been using my HRM lately because of my BMF but on days like today when I teach 3 classes I figured I'd wear it and see if I go under my BMR. Granted that will be hard to do since my TDEE is around 3000 and my BMR is 1600. I'd have to burn a whole heck of a lot...but to make sure I'm doing it right. I have my cut as my goal and I've been adding my exercise in today. I want to keep the green number above 1600, right? That would ensure I'm not eating under my BMR?

Replies

• tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    No. If you have your daily calorie allowance equal to your cut, then look at the calculation Food - Exercise = Net. That is the net that should equal or exceed your BMR. The green number shows the number of calories left to get to your daily calorie allowance (or your cut if you have it set up that way). Does that make sense?
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    are you worried that your BMF is not recording your burns accurately? if not, seems to me that in the event of a crazy high burn day, you still eat your cut and just make sure that your BMF number is at least 1600 (your BMR) greater than your calorie intake for the day.

BMF# - calories > 1600

if it is less than 1600, stuff your face with enough calories to get you to 1600.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    still not understanding. what is wrong with me. should i not add my exercise cals to mfp?
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    maybe the going back and forth between the two systems is confusing you? BMF <---> MFP?

i just think that if you have a BMF, you are getting the absolutely most accurate numbers for your daily burn. so you should use it. you have your cut value based on a BMF report of average burn, right? lucia says that you should eat your TDEE minus 300. whatever deficit you choose to have, just subtract it from your average weekly TDEE. this should be pretty consistent unless your class schedule changes significantly.

this is what you do on a daily basis.....

1. eat your cut number. set your goal in MFP to that cut number.

2. under the FOOD heading, make sure that you hit that cut number every day.

3. if you want to enter your exercise cals in MFP, do it. then watch the NET number to make sure that it does not go below your BMR of 1600.

4. if you do not enter your exercise in MFP, just keep an eye on your BMF total for that day to make sure that BMF minus food is LESS than 1600. i said it backwards earlier.....

BMF# - calories eaten < 1600 (sorry to confuse)

i really think that if you are eating at a 300-500 deficit based on your BMF report it will be really difficult for you to go below BMR on any given day. so just be sure that you have your deficit figured correctly.

will someone else please go over that and make sure i didn't say something wrong? i'm getting confused myself.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    will someone else please go over that and make sure i didn't say something wrong? i'm getting confused myself.

Yes. You got it with both options if she records her exercise or not. I guess the main thing is to keep the daily calorie allowance the same. That can be determined either by an average of her weekly BMF or by the TDEE calculators. But since she's got the BMF, she might as well use it.