a newbie to this group

evilmonkee
evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
Since I've been butting in on threads today, I figured I should introduce myself.
First, thank you for starting this group and for keeping it going! I just joined today, and there's so much useful info.

A bit about me: I lost 50lbs on Weight Watchers, and switched to MFP 4 weeks ago, but I mostly ignored the forums and the groups, just used the phone app to track.
I work out 6 times a week (3 x NROLFW +HIIT, 2 short runs, 1 long run on the weekend), so the 1200-1300 kcal diet was getting to me. I am not bashing WW, because it does work, and it's a sustainable and healthy plan, but I guess it can be problematic if you work out a lot. Based on the diet points assigned to me, I decided to ignore the calorie suggestions from the new rules, and had been sticking to the 1200-1300 net suggested for a short woman (5'1") who has less than 20 lbs to go now. After 6 months of following the plan, I hit a plateau, and I was constantly feeling drained and irritable, despite eating all of my activity points and weekly points (based on my HRM and old WW logs, now I know I was netting 900-1400/ day).

As a former gymnast who was very slim and fit while eating about 3-4k a day when I was practicing, I knew I needed to eat more, but I wasn't sure how much. I had always been slim until I started grad school, so this dieting thing is still somewhat of a puzzle.

4 weeks ago I got fed up with constantly feeling like I had the flu, and realized that I probably won't gain if I go up to 1500-1700 net. I figured if I still plateau, at least I won't be constantly grouchy. I added peanut butter and full fat cheese in my life, and ignored the scale for a month. Lo and behold- after a month of eating like a human being, I stepped on the scale today. I've lost 4 lbs in the past month and finally busted through the damned plateau (I'm 3 lbs below the low end of it) . Ironically, I just found this group today after kind of winging this EMWL thing for a month.
Sorry for the long post- I'm just so glad that there are others who have had success with this approach, and I love the wealth of information.

Replies

• tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Welcome to the group!!

And congrats on your weight loss to date! You're starting off ahead of a lot of people, because you had to fuel your body for gymnastics. That's great.

I wish you continued success eating.