Holding Steady....is this a good sign?

shanniebug
shanniebug Posts: 29 Member
Hello All,

I am new to the group and began the EMTWL journey one week ago. So far, I have held steady to my current weight with very little fluctuation (maybe .2 to .4 each time I weigh). Considering that when I was only consuming 1300 calories per day my weight kept fluctuating up and down a pound or two each week, I am going to assume that holding steady right now is a good sign that consuming TDEE - 15% is working for me? I consume my TDEE calories each day and then for my daily workout, I try to burn the calories that make up the difference between TDEE and my BMR. I never go below my BMR.

I have read in several threads that weight lifting is recommended. What should a beginner start off with? I am using 5lb dumbbells for my upper body and use an elliptical trainer set to a high tension level for my lower boday as well and lunges.

Thanks!

Replies

• tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Hello All,

I am new to the group and began the EMTWL journey one week ago. So far, I have held steady to my current weight with very little fluctuation (maybe .2 to .4 each time I weigh). Considering that when I was only consuming 1300 calories per day my weight kept fluctuating up and down a pound or two each week, I am going to assume that holding steady right now is a good sign that consuming TDEE - 15% is working for me? I consume my TDEE calories each day and then for my daily workout, I try to burn the calories that make up the difference between TDEE and my BMR. I never go below my BMR.

I have read in several threads that weight lifting is recommended. What should a beginner start off with? I am using 5lb dumbbells for my upper body and use an elliptical trainer set to a high tension level for my lower boday as well and lunges.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're on the right track. Congrats.

A good weight lifting program for beginners is in the book the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It has a 6 month training program. There's a MFP group on it too called NROLFW.

Hope that helps.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    If only a week your metabolism might just be adjusting still.
  • shanniebug
    Thanks so much. I will look for the book. Just happy to not be gaining as of yet!
  • Me too, Shanniebug. One week in and just holding steady. (sigh) Stuffing all that food down and it's not having any effect yet. I continue to keep up my same exercise level (3Xweek) and just hope to see some change soon. I suppose we must try to be patient.
  • lkcostello
    lkcostello Posts: 49 Member
    Me too. Since May 8, up and down 1/2 pound or so. Doing Chalean Extreme 5 days a week. But I was the same as you. I would fluctuate a few pounds either way every week. Now it's just the 1/2 pound. I can live with that. I feel great, my clothes feel great. I haven't taken measurements, but I'm just going by how my clothes fit. Good luck!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    I think it's a good sign... I am experiencing that too... this is 3 days completed eating what feels like a crazy amount... when i have tried the theory of a spike day in the past..there has always been a few pound fluctuation on the scale following...I have NOT noticed that this time... I am holding steady, no fluctuations!
  • shanniebug
    Got on the scale yesterday and was down .6 pounds. Hope to continue losing more using this method as I am a much happier person when I eat! My husband thinks so too! ;)