The waiting game!

CHUBBYLOVLEY
CHUBBYLOVLEY Posts: 65 Member
So Tuesday is my last appt with my primary care doctor for my six month mandatory weight management program my insurance is requiring me to do. From my understanding then my surgons office is to submit all my paperwork ( 5 year recorded weight records,six month workout journal,10 years of weight loss attempts, personal letter to ins, 6mo progress notes. Psychiatric evaluation and behavior modification ) to my insurance. I'm a little nervous and scared about getting denied.

I guess my question is,What was everyone's wait time till they heard when they where denied or approved.from the insurance?

Replies

• MsOhSooo
    MsOhSooo Posts: 9 Member
    My approval came exactly a week after my surgeon faxed it to my insurance. It was the longest week of my life!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    I got my approval exactly a week later. Keep us posted!!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Mine was a week too.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Once you meet with the surgeon it goes quite fast. It was a week to two weeks for approval for me, but then every insurance company is different.
    What you have done ahead a time will pay off in the long run. I know it seems like some of things they put you through really aren't needed, but they are.
    I found the psychiatric evaluation really helps for after surgery. You will learn how to think differently about yourself and the food that you are choosing.
    Don't get discouraged with whatever response you receive and keep on them.
  • CHUBBYLOVLEY
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • giggler55
    giggler55 Posts: 10
    I got my approval in about a week and a half. I was told I should expect to wait 4-6 weeks.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    My first submittal for the Lap Band was denied. I needed to have the Medically Monitored diet... 6 months. That was started the first week in Feb. My 6th one will be July 11th! Then they will submit the paperwork again. The denial came in 3 weeks after the first submission. I guess my insurance changed its rules in January and I JUST fell into that window!!! But I have learned alot during this six months. I have also lost the weight the surgeon wanted me to lose before surgery plust some...

What kind of surgery are you having?
  • CHUBBYLOVLEY
    Thanks everyone!
    @Gspea Tuesday is my last appt for the medically monitored diet. I'm going for the sleeve. I actually received a call from the surgeons office today just confirming that they have received everything and the only thing was missing was this months Dr's progress notes. Which will be a done deal Tuesday morning. I was instructed by my surgeon to lose 10% of my weight prior to surgery which was 28lbs, as of Monday I've lost 48lbs. I'm just gonna keep praying.....
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    It sounds like you should be fine on the surgeon's end, just a matter of the insurance okaying the surgery. I didn't have a problem with that this last time. Usually they look at all the co-morbidities you have in order to okay, but the doctor needs to stress how beneficial this will be for you.
    Believe it or not, my weight loss doctor counted all my co-morbidities before surgery and I had twenty four and that was without repeating any of them!
    I can tell you since I had my RNY in March, I only take two medications now, one for blood pressure and one for cholesterol. I am also diabetic type 2, but I am off all medications now for over a month and a half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The reason I'm telling you this, because it will improve your life in so many ways. Don't ever get discouraged about what the insurance company may say, because sometimes they don't have the whole picture, but I have good vibes that it will be going your way.
  • Wow! You are really of to a great start. I am so excited for you. I don't think that you will have to wait long. I received my approval within a week and had my surgery within the following 3 weeks.
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Tuesday is my last appointment for my there months of required nutritionist appointments. Hopefully, my Dr can submit the paperwork to my insurance company the same day. I'm so nervous :(
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Update for me. The surgeons office submitted my authorization request on Tuesday. Insurance APPROVED in less than 24 hours. I now scheduled for surgery on the 28th.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Once I turned everything in to United, I was approved in just a couple of days. My surgery was scheduled 3 weeks after approval. My dr decided to go on vacation so I had to wait!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Update for me. The surgeons office submitted my authorization request on Tuesday. Insurance APPROVED in less than 24 hours. I now scheduled for surgery on the 28th.

Woot! Congrats! See you on the other side of the fence soon :)
  • CHUBBYLOVLEY
    APPROVED! THANK YOU JESUS! YAYAYAYAYAYA! So excited my husbands coming for lunch and I get to give him the great news! I go my surgeons office tomorrow to schedule. THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT AND RLIES! I don't even want to work anymore I want to go home. Too bad I have five hours left and I'm already off tomorrow for my son promotion! :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    APPROVED! THANK YOU JESUS! YAYAYAYAYAYA! So excited my husbands coming for lunch and I get to give him the great news! I go my surgeons office tomorrow to schedule. THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT AND RLIES! I don't even want to work anymore I want to go home. Too bad I have five hours left and I'm already off tomorrow for my son promotion! :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:

Fabulous news!! Congrats on your new life!!