The Calorie Burning Test

Options
savedchild8
savedchild8 Posts: 148 Member
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: The Calorie Burning Test

So how can you tell if you are burning carbs instead of fats throughout the day?

1. Do you struggle with cravings and low blood sugar?

2. Are you irritable if meals are missed or delayed?

3. Do you skip meals or only eat one or two meals a day?

4. Do you eat lots of refined, processed food and drink?

5. Do you have a hard time concentrating and staying focused?

6. Do you struggle with midmorning/afternoon slumps?

7. Do you have difficulty “staying” asleep?

8. Do you have to eat every few hours?

If you answered ‘yes’ to a few of these questions, it is a good indication your body is constantly burning calories from carbohydrates and proteins instead of stored body fats.

The typical school of thought for losing weight is a matter of burning more calories than we eat. Unfortunately, that’s not how it works!

There are too many people who are stuck on their same weight, even though they have been eating right and exercising. The reason is simple: They are not taking into consideration how stress and the hormones they produce control their metabolism.

Not All Calories Are the Same

We would like to think that when we burn calories, we are burning calories from stored body fat from around our waist and bottom. That simply is not always the case. The body burns calories from either fats, carbohydrates, or proteins (lean muscle). To assume that the body is always burning calories from stored body fat is simply wrong.

It’s easy to say that a 30-minute jog burned 300 calories, but it doesn’t tell us if we burned 300 calories from the breakdown of fats, carbs, or muscle. We could have easily burned 300 calories from the breakdown of carbohydrates or worse -- we could have burned 300 calories from lean muscle tissue (protein), which is the last thing we want to do.

The body is designed to burn calories throughout the day from fats, as opposed to carbs and proteins. But most people who struggle with their weight are usually burning more calories from the breakdown of carbs and proteins, not fats. In other words, they are not staying in their “fat-burning zone” throughout the day. Yes, they are burning lots of calories, but they’re not burning calories from stored body fat. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have any carbs in your system. Your body will then break down lean muscle.

The reason people aren’t efficiently burning stored body fat has nothing to do with the amount of calories they ate or burned, and more to do with what regulates their metabolism.

Hormones Regulate Metabolism

As we said before, the body can either burn calories from fats, proteins, or carbs. Our metabolism is predominately controlled by our hormones. Some hormones burn fats, some hormones store fats, and some trigger our body to burn carbs and protein. So to automatically assume that the 300 calories you burned came from the stored body fat around your tummy and bottom is wrong.

The hormones we are talking about are cortisol, adrenaline, insulin, and glucagon, which are stimulated by stress and diet. Too much stress in your life will cause an over-production of cortisol and adrenaline, which can trigger your body to burn carbs and proteins instead of fats. The same is true about insulin and glucagon. Too many carbs and you produce more insulin, which stores fat, whereas glucagon burns fat and is produced when you eat protein.

Stay in Your Fat-Burning Zone

Here are some simple steps you can take to ensure your body is staying in its ‘fat-burning’ zone throughout the day.

Examine the amount of stress in your life. If stress is constant, you could be producing too much cortisol and adrenaline, which is throwing your metabolism off.......... have your cortisol and DHEA levels measured through a saliva test to determine if stress is impacting your metabolism.

FYI: Not everyone’s cortisol is too high! Many people under long-term stress make too little cortisol and adrenaline, which is referred to as adrenal exhaustion.

Take a look at your diet. You cannot skip meals or eat refined, junk food. It causes your blood sugar to drop and stimulates your adrenals to make additional cortisol and adrenaline.

Make sure you eat breakfast and it includes good protein and fats. A predominately high carb breakfast, like cereal or bagels, will throw your blood sugar off for most of the day. Good protein and fats at each meal will help reduce the surge of insulin and will stimulate the production of glucagon, which aids in the breakdown of fats.

Check your digestion. If you struggle with bloating, gas, indigestion, heartburn, or other irritable bowel problems, it is causing irritation and inflammation. This triggers further production of cortisol. Therefore, add some digestive enzymes, look at food combining, and consider possible “hidden” food allergies.

Deep breathing exercises for one to two minutes or longer throughout the day can lower cortisol and adrenaline. This is important because the more cortisol and adrenaline you produce, the more insulin you produce. It’s a vicious cycle because cortisol makes your body resistant to insulin, which in turn causes even more insulin to be produced.

Playing the calorie counting game doesn’t always work. It overlooks and ignores the impact stress and diet have on your hormones. Remember, the good Lord didn’t design a bad hormone. Cortisol and insulin are not bad for you, but if you overproduce them, they throw all the other hormones out of whack.

:heart:

Replies

• Krissy_b777
    Krissy_b777 Posts: 87
    Options
    This is really good and helpful.
  • MsTae84
    MsTae84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Very helpful information..
  • JDsons
    JDsons Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My thumbs up! :)
  • Misalayne
    Misalayne Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Very helpful!
  • savedchild8
    Options
    Thank you ALL for posting!! :flowerforyou:
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If only we could convince everyone of this!
  • Autry403
    Autry403 Posts: 88
    Options
    Unfortunately, I was beginning to think I was the only one! I haven't slept in 25 hours... I'm hungry almost every hour of the day and skip meals so I won't gain weight. When I do eat I can't stop eating & whether it's healthy food or junk food. I can't seem to have any energy to do anything lately & I get light headed and dizzy all the time. I have a hard time concentrating on my school work everyday now. I even started eating more calories, but it's hard to eat a lot of calories at my home when we don't own a lot of food choices. My family eats ramen, cereal, pizza, and fast food all the time. I eat whatever I can get my hands on at the house. I haven't lost any weight in the past month but I haven't been exercising much either... I'm not sure why I feel like I'm getting fatter but the scale says differently. :( I have a problem with binge eating and I have figured out I have bulimia... for 5 years now. Ohhh, sorry for boring you guys with my life story.......
  • kservia
    kservia Posts: 3
    Options
    Not bored at all its interesting. I think we're all here trying to find out what will work. I know hormones play a big part because during my cycle I feel like I can never get enough to eat so as much information as anyone can provide to help me win this battle the better. I hope you get the help and answers you need. The most I can do is pray, I don't know much about bulemia but I know there is Hope in God.
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT: The Calorie Burning Test

So how can you tell if you are burning carbs instead of fats throughout the day?

1. Do you struggle with cravings and low blood sugar?

2. Are you irritable if meals are missed or delayed?

3. Do you skip meals or only eat one or two meals a day?

4. Do you eat lots of refined, processed food and drink?

5. Do you have a hard time concentrating and staying focused?

6. Do you struggle with midmorning/afternoon slumps?

7. Do you have difficulty “staying” asleep?

8. Do you have to eat every few hours?

If you answered ‘yes’ to a few of these questions, it is a good indication your body is constantly burning calories from carbohydrates and proteins instead of stored body fats.

The typical school of thought for losing weight is a matter of burning more calories than we eat. Unfortunately, that’s not how it works!

There are too many people who are stuck on their same weight, even though they have been eating right and exercising. The reason is simple: They are not taking into consideration how stress and the hormones they produce control their metabolism.

Not All Calories Are the Same

We would like to think that when we burn calories, we are burning calories from stored body fat from around our waist and bottom. That simply is not always the case. The body burns calories from either fats, carbohydrates, or proteins (lean muscle). To assume that the body is always burning calories from stored body fat is simply wrong.

It’s easy to say that a 30-minute jog burned 300 calories, but it doesn’t tell us if we burned 300 calories from the breakdown of fats, carbs, or muscle. We could have easily burned 300 calories from the breakdown of carbohydrates or worse -- we could have burned 300 calories from lean muscle tissue (protein), which is the last thing we want to do.

The body is designed to burn calories throughout the day from fats, as opposed to carbs and proteins. But most people who struggle with their weight are usually burning more calories from the breakdown of carbs and proteins, not fats. In other words, they are not staying in their “fat-burning zone” throughout the day. Yes, they are burning lots of calories, but they’re not burning calories from stored body fat. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have any carbs in your system. Your body will then break down lean muscle.

The reason people aren’t efficiently burning stored body fat has nothing to do with the amount of calories they ate or burned, and more to do with what regulates their metabolism.

Hormones Regulate Metabolism

As we said before, the body can either burn calories from fats, proteins, or carbs. Our metabolism is predominately controlled by our hormones. Some hormones burn fats, some hormones store fats, and some trigger our body to burn carbs and protein. So to automatically assume that the 300 calories you burned came from the stored body fat around your tummy and bottom is wrong.

The hormones we are talking about are cortisol, adrenaline, insulin, and glucagon, which are stimulated by stress and diet. Too much stress in your life will cause an over-production of cortisol and adrenaline, which can trigger your body to burn carbs and proteins instead of fats. The same is true about insulin and glucagon. Too many carbs and you produce more insulin, which stores fat, whereas glucagon burns fat and is produced when you eat protein.

Stay in Your Fat-Burning Zone

Here are some simple steps you can take to ensure your body is staying in its ‘fat-burning’ zone throughout the day.

Examine the amount of stress in your life. If stress is constant, you could be producing too much cortisol and adrenaline, which is throwing your metabolism off.......... have your cortisol and DHEA levels measured through a saliva test to determine if stress is impacting your metabolism.

FYI: Not everyone’s cortisol is too high! Many people under long-term stress make too little cortisol and adrenaline, which is referred to as adrenal exhaustion.

Take a look at your diet. You cannot skip meals or eat refined, junk food. It causes your blood sugar to drop and stimulates your adrenals to make additional cortisol and adrenaline.

Make sure you eat breakfast and it includes good protein and fats. A predominately high carb breakfast, like cereal or bagels, will throw your blood sugar off for most of the day. Good protein and fats at each meal will help reduce the surge of insulin and will stimulate the production of glucagon, which aids in the breakdown of fats.

Check your digestion. If you struggle with bloating, gas, indigestion, heartburn, or other irritable bowel problems, it is causing irritation and inflammation. This triggers further production of cortisol. Therefore, add some digestive enzymes, look at food combining, and consider possible “hidden” food allergies.

Deep breathing exercises for one to two minutes or longer throughout the day can lower cortisol and adrenaline. This is important because the more cortisol and adrenaline you produce, the more insulin you produce. It’s a vicious cycle because cortisol makes your body resistant to insulin, which in turn causes even more insulin to be produced.

Playing the calorie counting game doesn’t always work. It overlooks and ignores the impact stress and diet have on your hormones. Remember, the good Lord didn’t design a bad hormone. Cortisol and insulin are not bad for you, but if you overproduce them, they throw all the other hormones out of whack.

:heart:

Thanks all of you for sharing ALL of this information & advice! This is very informative!

Bump this to save for later!

Be Blessed in health, healing, and wholeness! (¯`’•.¸(†♥†)¸.•’´¯)
    Have a blessed and prosperous day! AMEN †

Elephantbutt.gif
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I battle insomina in fact getting ready to go to sleep now and it is over 24 hrs again since I slept. I keep saying I have to stop this but still it continues. Thanks for the info a lot of good knowledge in it.
  • savedchild8
    Options
    :smile: Thank you all for your encouragement!!