How long for weight training?

Options
Hi all, I weight train around 5 times a week but my whole routine only takes half an hour.... I see some people train for an hour, I just wondered what you were doing for it to last that long? I am wondering if I do enough.

I also do cardio for 30mins 5 times a week at the gym.

Thanks.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on how much of your maximum effort you're doing.

If you're lifting two pound weights (assuming your max is something closer to forty pounds) then you can do that pretty much all day long without seeing too much progress or damage. If you're lifting heavy (relative to YOUR max) then you need to take a day (sometimes more) off between workouts. Muscles do not grow stronger during your workout- they grow stronger during the REPAIR from your workout. Rest is essential :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 3 times per week for about 30 minutes (Doing New Rules of Lifting for Women). I am having fantastic results.

My cardio consists of just walking for like 20-30 minutes 4-5 times per week. And sometimes one day of HIIT.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I weight train 3 days a week and will spend about 45 min, sometimes 60 minutes on the warm up and strength part of workout. It depends on how many exercises I'm doing, how many reps, and how much rest time I want between sets. If I'm more tired I take longer rests. I lift heavy so I target 4-6 reps. I also do a warm-up, HIIT cardio for 15 minutes, and cool-down & stretching. This means I'm at the gym for at least 60 minutes, but most often it's closer to 75 or sometimes 90 min.