30s Daily - 5/24

Options
shorty313
shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
Welcome to our daily thread!

We post here for motivation and support. Feel free to share your successes and your failures. Really, you should feel free to share whatever is on your mind. Just be respectful and expect respect in return.

[Anyone can start the daily thread, just make the new subject and copy and paste the intro. Thanks in advance for your help.]

☞ Name/nickname reminders -
Paul (PJYoung2012)
Carrie (camsmommy2008)
Sara Grace (SaraGrace82)
Susan or Susie (susieq101178)
Erica (epa422)
Debbie (shorty313)
Melissa (lissa0040)
Jackie (jaxygirl)
Sonya (sonyachan)
Ellie (ellie78)
CurlyPep (lilpe5512)
Harold (hcdawg)
Jill (Blueyz82)
Dan (G3tR1pp3d)
Stacy (chanstriste13)
Cristi (blueeyedcrist)
Amanda (AmandaK3)
Bishop or Todd(BishopSmurf)
Kelli (daisy51981)
Sarah (SarLem81)
Clare (clareeast)
Amanda (WhiteCloud)
Emma (elstein)
Cynthia (saihtnyc)

Replies

• ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Morning all! So I watched the first of those Weight of the Nation documentaries online last night, anyone seen them? I was just astounded by some of the statistics and medical information they were throwing out. About fifteen minutes in I felt like I needed to make a doctor's appointment for a physical! I was really floored when they said that less than 1/3 of americans maintain a healthy weight, less than 1/3! Just, wow. I guess I don't really get the full picture of how bad this really is living in the "healthy" state of Colorado. They were showing pictures of kids going getting off the bus at a school in the south and every single one was overweight, its so sad. I'm really feeling motivated by watching it, though. It makes me want to do better for myself and try to explore how maybe I could help others.

Anyways....off to work!
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Almost the weekend - yay!

So, I was MIA yesterday, but with good reason. Spent the morning at a work seminar on health reform . . . try not to be jealous. :tongue: Then I took the rest of the day off to take my son out for a celebratory lunch. Yesterday was officially his last day of elementary school. :cry: My baby is anything but . . . he'll be in 6th grade this fall, a middle-schooler. That's so strange for me . . . not just because it doesn't seem like he should be that old, but because when I was his age, 6th grade was still elementary school! *sigh* He's so proud, and I'm proud of him. Just hope he learns some organization and self-motivation skills over the summer . . . he'll need them at the new school!

I didn't touch any of the tempting pastries or breakfast sammiches at the seminar - just stuck with green tea, bottled water, and even brought my own baggie of almonds to nibble. :happy:

We went to lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings - I did have fries, but I also had "naked tenders" with fat free mango habenero on the side and a veggie boat with fat free ranch. Still made it to the gym in the evening.

I'm working towards upping my calories again and increasing protein while decreasing fat - macros of 40/35/25. Yesterday was nearly perfect, except I underestimated my workout and netted under BMR. :ohwell: But not by much - maybe 50 calories. Today I'll be over BMR, but under the new calories goal (which I need to update). I'm hoping I'll see more "slimming" by making these changes . . . we'll see. I am wearing a dress today that I haven't worn for a while, so that's something. :smile:
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    SusieQ: I've been playing with my calories for the past 2 weeks. I dropped them from 1850 to 1600 and I gained 4lbs within 2 weeks (that really ruined my relationship with the scale). So last I went back to 1850 calories and I've dropped 2lbs so far.

This calories thing, TDEE, BMR or whatever the hell its called can be very tricky. I can't imagine trying to monitor macros also.

Good luck with whatever method you chose!
  • PJYoung2012
    PJYoung2012 Posts: 191
    Options
    Hiya gang, hope everyone's ok :smile:. Had a heck of a day today at work. After all the heat and panic of yesterday something had to be done. I came up with the only workable scenario. I was going to have to move 4 tonnes of fish to another section by hand. So armed with a net and my trusty water bottle (have drunk so much water today, what's the lethal amount?) i got on with it. And you know what. It felt really good to be out working in the sunshine. Plus that many fish is a heck of a workout. Just a shame i can't list it under exercise!
    Did my weigh in this morning. I have reached and gone past my weight goal. I'm pleased clearly and have never felt better which is making such a difference in my day to day life. Thanks so much for everyones support. I came here out of curiosity and was welcomed for which i'm hugely grateful.
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Paul, how hot was it?!? Congrats on surpassing your goals!

I'm still plugging along. I too increased my calories to 1750 daily regardless of exercise. My TDEE -15% cut was between 1650-1850 depending on activity, so I decided to split the difference. I'm losing weight at the same rate as when I was at 1450, so I'll stick with it for now, despite how SLOW it is.

Susan - go you for resisting temptation! I"m having a heck of a time with macros, my carbs are generally under 45% but getting them under 40% has been a struggle for me. :ohwell:

Ellie - The stats are astounding.
  • PJYoung2012
    Options
    Paul, how hot was it?!? Congrats on surpassing your goals!

It's been 27 C here for the last couple of days which is about 80 degrees fahrenheit. Not the hottest it's ever been but to go from cold weather with frosts to it being like this really upset the fish. Has taken us a couple of days to get them calmed down.

Oh and thanks :-).
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Morning all! So I watched the first of those Weight of the Nation documentaries online last night, anyone seen them? I was just astounded by some of the statistics and medical information they were throwing out. About fifteen minutes in I felt like I needed to make a doctor's appointment for a physical! I was really floored when they said that less than 1/3 of americans maintain a healthy weight, less than 1/3! Just, wow. I guess I don't really get the full picture of how bad this really is living in the "healthy" state of Colorado. They were showing pictures of kids going getting off the bus at a school in the south and every single one was overweight, its so sad. I'm really feeling motivated by watching it, though. It makes me want to do better for myself and try to explore how maybe I could help others.

Anyways....off to work!

Yes, Colorado is a "healthy" state by comparison but I've seen many times on the news that even the obesity rate is rising at an alarming rate here. I grew up in GA and was just there last month to visit family. I definitely see the difference in overweight and obesity populations between Colorado and the south. The food is so dang good! I mean, I could live in Paula Dean's kitchen and be so happy (except for putting on the extra weight.) I love biscuits but have not learned how to make them because you have to practice a lot to get them right, and that means there will be a lot of biscuits to eat. So, when I want a southern meal and do not want to cook it myself, I go right up the road to Cracker Barrel. Their pot roast taste just like my grandmother's, the meatloaf taste just like my Mom's, and I can eat biscuits, cornbread, and fried okra (all favorites.) Then I don't have leftovers to tempt me the next day.

Moving on... I am on vacation starting today, but starting tomorrow I will be unplugging from the digital world until June 2nd. We're going to see my husband's family in PA, and yes, I do get along with my in-laws:bigsmile:

Talk to you all soon!
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi all, another hot one in the UK and I have made the best of being outdoors! It was the boys' sports day this morning, so I went and walked around the playing field with my camera for an hour. No 1 son was well enough to take part, although he didn't put enough effort in according to some of his team-mates - but it was very hot. No 2 son wasn't putting 100% in either - didn't seem to understand WHY he needed to run! I then took my mother-in-law shopping - and she buys me naughty things like cream-filled meringues! In the afternoon, we retreated to the pub (again!) for a couple of drinks (one sparkling water, one diet Pepsi) with a twenty minute gap to walk and fetch the kids from school. To top it off this evening, I went to my Zumba class - most people had stayed away because of the heat, but more than 15 people in that room this evening would have been unbearable. Came home and had a protein-rich tea, now sipping a gin and tonic, but I know I need to go and shower! (TMI!!!)

Paul: congratulations on passing your goal! I can imagine that the fish wouldn't be happy with such a big range of temperature in a matter of days. Don't have any "official" confirmation of this, but when we rolled out of the pub at 4.30 our car said it was 31 C - which is high 80's farenheit. Question is: does the weather know there's a Bank Holiday around the corner? Probably. Most likely back to cold and damp by the beginning of June!!
  • PJYoung2012
    Options
    Question is: does the weather know there's a Bank Holiday around the corner? Probably. Most likely back to cold and damp by the beginning of June!!

Knowing the utterly randem nature of our climate you may well have a point. I just hope the B&Q Bar B Q that's been sat in my basement since i bought it 3 years aggo finally gets used. I have a good feeling about this weekend. The BBQ will lose it's virginity at last :wink:.
    Thanks for your kind words re me reaching my goal. it feels pretty good i'll be honest. Onwards and upwards from here. Just as long as it's not onwards and outwards!