Is cottage cheese clean?

Options
ChLoE1130
ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
I was just wondering if cottage cheese was considered clean? And if there are "cleaner" brands than others? And if fat free, low fat, etc is the best choice? Thanks!

Replies

• Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes, I consider cottage cheese clean.

I use it in place of meat such as chicken, turkey or fish when I don't feel like eating meat.. I use the full fat version because it fits into my current nutrition plan. Plus, in my opinion, the low fat and especially the fat free versions taste awful. Everything can be an acquired taste though. Even with eating the full fat cottage cheese I average about 20g of fat for the day.

Good luck :)
  • namina13
    namina13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think this article really addresses your question well:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-dairy-and-non-dairy/

I personally do not feel that dairy is clean, but I do still eat it sometimes, I just try to seriously limit it. I do like cream in my coffee (and where I live a non-dairy creamer is not readily available) and I like feta cheese on a salad, but that usually constitutes my dairy consumption. It's all about personal preference though and what fits in your lifestyle. You should be aware of what you're putting in your body but also be aware that it's not a "who's the cleanest" contest. Just the fact that you're thinking about it shows that you're doing more than most people. :)
  • Ironphoenix
    Ironphoenix Posts: 36
    Options
    Hey :) yes cottage cheese is clean. It is an excellent source if protein and casein. Enjoy :)
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I think this article really addresses your question well:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-dairy-and-non-dairy/

Thanks thats a good website
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, my issue with cottage cheese is the ingredients list definitely doesn't look clean. I do try to limit dairy also except for maybe some feta or goat cheese on salads, greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

I will check out that article also.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I try to eat organic dairy. So, I consider organic, full fat cottage cheese clean (and it tastes better!) However, the grocery store that HAS organic cottage cheese is 40 minutes away and I go there once a month or so, so I don't have it all the time. It may be hypocritical, but I eat Fage yogurt even though it isn't organic (it IS hormone and antibiotic free, though). I don't limit dairy, but I get my milk from a farm, raw, along with raw cheese. YUM.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes and organic dairy is a must.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like organic cottage cheese myself. I don't eat it weekly but every now and again it comes home with me.