NROWL Soreness Sneaking Up?

Options
I did my third NROWL workout last night (minus pushups - must've fallen funny in my scrimmage the other night because I couldn't do them without pain - and not the "tired" pain but the "something ain't right" pain!). I did 70 lbs for back squats - up from 50 lbs. last week, which was fairly easy for me (and I actually had access to a squat rack this time!).

Anyway, it was challenging but I felt fine all evening. Woke up this morning and OUCH! Pretty damn sore. I'm used to feeling any soreness right away - so this is something new for me.

I am guessing it's because I haven't done heavy lifting in a long time. I am strong, but endurance-strong, as opposed to lifting heavy-strong. Does that make sense? Has the soreness snuck up on anyone else? I'm taking it as a sign that it's working - that I challenged my body to do something it's not good at, and it's reacting by being more sore the next day. Yes? :)

Replies

• TikiTanya
    TikiTanya Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Just did workout B for the 2nd time last night and I am one who always says "I wish I was sore --so I knew it was working". I take it back :) I upped my deadlift to 80 lbs, 20 lbs on overhead presses and 70 on lat pull downs and I feel it today for sure. I am used to lifting pretty heavy from some personal training sessions and doing Chalean Xtreme and P90X but I am starting to see the NROWL is a whole new ball game ((in a good way!))
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i got about 4 NROLFW workouts in before i decided that i needed to just wait a bit until my schedule allowed me to be more consistent.

they made me sore as hell!!! weirdly, the first morning after was not too bad, but the second morning after i could barely move. well, i could move, i just didn't want to. i'm planning to get a bit more protein in before and after the lifting when i start up again. and get a bit more pre- and post stretching in there. if that doesn't help, i'm just telling telling my body to suck it up and quit whining and making it work through the aches and pains until it starts to like the aches and pains, lol.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    I think that's the hard part - I don't feel like I'm doing ANYTHING. I'm in and out of the gym in 30 minutes. It's weird. I'm a freak, but I LIKE feeling like you could mop the floor with me when I'm done working out. I'm an endorphin junkie. It's like delayed gratification or something.

But hey, if it works - I'll take it!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think that's the hard part - I don't feel like I'm doing ANYTHING. I'm in and out of the gym in 30 minutes. It's weird. I'm a freak, but I LIKE feeling like you could mop the floor with me when I'm done working out. I'm an endorphin junkie. It's like delayed gratification or something.

But hey, if it works - I'll take it!

workout B left me a quivering mumbling mess last time i did it. i feel like i'm really working with A as well, but B kicks my a$s.
  • TikiTanya
    TikiTanya Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Isnt it weird to do a 30-40 minute workout after all we are probably used to? It takes will power for me to not start lifting other weights or go into a heavy cardio session after finishing. Need to re-train the brain . Before I would workout 30 mins before work, sometimes on my lunch hour and at the gym at night. I was doing way too much and getting nowhere essentially. But i like you, dig the "high" i get from working hard.
    I think B is much harder than A also. But I hope to up my squats quite a bit and really work A to its fullest next week
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I don't do NROLFW, but when I first started P90X I couldn't even get in and out of a vehicle without looking like I was 80 yrs old I was so sore. That lasted about 1 week. Now, I feel the soreness the next day (sometimes for two days depending on how hard I pushed) but it's not nearly as bad. I did find that a really good recovery drink helps.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    workout B left me a quivering mumbling mess last time i did it. i feel like i'm really working with A as well, but B kicks my a$s.

What's interesting is I find A to be much more challenging for me. Well...at least when I can actually do pushups. :)

The jacknives are another sneaky one! I do 8 and am like, whatever. Yeah, my abs are sore today, too.
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The jacknives are another sneaky one! I do 8 and am like, whatever. Yeah, my abs are sore today, too.

I feel the jackknives ALL WEEK. lol.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just received my book in the mail (I'm an army wife stationed in Germany, so nothing is quick), and I'm so excited to start!!! I LOVE the feeling of being sore, because I know that my body is working hard to repair itself. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the workouts without any guidance though, because the army gym near my work is almost always completely empty. There's actually a little nagging anxiety that I'll be crushed by some weights and no one will find me for hours.....but that'll disappear once I become familiar with the weight room. :)