Best foods to pack for the beach

Hi Everybody. Still learning about EMTWL. I am not so overwhelmed thanks to all of your support. Yesterday thanks to feedback on my diary I am now learning about Sodium. I am just learning about this but I am guessing that deli meat, sliced cheese and such have a high Sodium content.
Question is What the heck to I eat all weekend???? Years before, I would pack sandwhiches on whole wheat and Turkey breast and thought that was great, now I don't know.
I need to pack food to last me for several hours and I only have access to a walmart and a small grocery store (Food lion).

Any ideas would be soooo helpfull.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    My first honest response is- anything that will fit in your macros.

My tips would be- slice chicken breast/turkey you cooked yourself. Just cut into strips- toss with some dressing/mayo if you want and store it cold. Slap on some bread and voila- you've replaced your deli meat.

Cheese's sodium is well worth the cost of the great cals and nutrition it offers. Same goes for cottage cheese.

I personally stopped worrying as much about sodium but that's not an official EM2WL thing- just me. I'm not going for a competition so I'm not worried about a pound here or there of water weight. I figure, I keep moving, keep eating enough and change my lifestyle the rest will fall into place for the most part.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    i say just stick to the lower sodium deli meats, pack nut snacks and such that are unsalted, take fruit and veggies.

it's vacation. i would stay mindful of it but not stress about too much. sodium has gotta be the hardest one to keep under wraps when you're out of your regular home situation.

have fun!!!!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    My first honest response is- anything that will fit in your macros.

^^^^^^this.

you can pee out the sodium induced water weight later. macros are priority 1.
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    That's good advice. I won't be at home so I won't be able to prepare homemade anything really. It would be easy to stick to my Macros (I hope)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I would just take what you regularly take or whatever fits into your macros as was suggested.

I eat sandwiches now so I would eat those at the beach.

Lots of fresh fruit (grapes are good for the beach...not too sticky), lots of water, almonds or other nuts to snack on, turkey pepperoni, cheese etc.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I just messaged you some ideas!

If I'm away from home for lunch, I'll usually make a chicken salad ahead of time and pack it in a container and put it in a cooler, along with a whole grain wrap (or whole grain sandwich thin). And there you go....just spoon it onto your bread and you're good!