how do you measure your tummy?

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
I'm having trouble getting a 'true' reading off my stomach. Too squishy, lumpy..:grumble:

So I started pushing my stomach out as FAR as I can and measuring that once it's good and tight....I realize that gives a rather massive reading, but right now I'm mostly concerned with how much it drops or gains than what the actual number is.

Does anyone else do this? Is this a bad way to do it? How do you get an accurate reading off yours?

Replies

• knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Haha...I have the same problem. I try to measure right over my belly button everytime because I figure that's not going anywhere, but even that can be challenging for me since the tape always wants to move around in the back! :angry: I have no answer for you, so I'm bumping this up to see if anyone else has an answer. I still attempt to measure every week or so, but mostly rely on how my clothes are fitting. I have a size 8 pair of pants that I am currently working on getting to fit comfortably and not look like they are painted on (and not in a good way), LOL. Once I get into those and feel comfortable enough to actually wear them to work, I will have hit my short term goal! :drinker:
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i dont know ither but i have the same issue and since i dont have a scale its all i can do
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i dont know ither but i have the same issue and since i dont have a scale its all i can do
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, as a trained seamstress, I can tell you I measure the same way I measure for garments, and I think that generally how most people "accurately" measure.

The spot to measure is generally midway between the bottom of your ribs and the top of your hips, which usually does match up with your belly button. Sometimes the belly button is a little lower, though.

Don't push out or suck in. Just stand tall and breath normally. Don't pull the tape tight, just snug. If you do anything to artificially change your body while measuring, youre just going to get weird results when you start losing.

This is generally your waist measurement and contrary to how clothing often fits (especially for women), the measurement you want is will generally be the smallest area on your middle if you have any kind of defined waistline.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I measure through my belly button as well.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think to make a true measurement you need to have your back really straight and extend your neck to make sure your posture is good. Try not to suck in the belly or push it out. just stay as naturally as you could with a streight back and shoulders and extended neck. Do the same ach tiume you measure and you should have a fairly correct measurement!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    My belly button is a little lower than my natural waist so I do 2 different measurements. One at my natural waist and one at my belly button.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I also do 2 different measurement locations. I measure at my belly button because it lines up with my waist and for the second location I measure at the top of my hip bones to get my stomach results.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I also do my belly button ...I just do there as that is my biggest circumference so i want to now if that one is going down ... But i prob should do higher as I have noticed that the rest has gone down too. Less bumps hehehehe
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I measure a bit above my belly button (I have a scar that I use to make sure it's the same), right at my belly button and then right at my hip bones (I have a tattoo that I use as reference). Even when doing that I still don't see much of a change on the tape measure. So I use clothes instead. I pull out a piece of large clothing I wore 6 months ago and it feels HUGE on me. I pull out a pair of pants or dress that I want to fit into and they are getting very close to fitting me or zipping up. I also know by how far I have to cinch my bra (or go down a size!). That's how I know I've lost inches rather than using a tape measure that I seem to not know how to use!
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    I measure where my waist goes in -- like if you wore high-waisted pants. I do this because I have a belted shirt and that's right where the belt sits. I also measure around my abdomen under my belly button since I carry weight there and want to see that go down. That part will likely decrease before my actual waist does.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I poke it a bunch, then jiggle it...go to a mirror and stick it out, suck it in, stick it out, suck it in...continue to poke at it....than try and squeeze it off...poke it some more, than sigh and walk away.

oh + a measuring tape around my chest, around my largest section/navel, than around my hips
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I take 3 measurements... I measure at the the smallest point all the way around (natural waist), the largest point all the way around, and at the navel. I track all three because I weirdly hold water/weight/food waste differently from day to day (sometimes the biggest part is lower, sometimes its closer to my navel).
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I measure at the smallest area in my stomach (waist) and at the belly button because I like to see what kind of progress I am doing in with the love handles.
  • pmanco2009
    pmanco2009 Posts: 76
    Options
    LOL!! This is too funny! I have too much of a jelly belly right now, but hope to get that down soon. :laugh:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My belly button is a little lower than my natural waist so I do 2 different measurements. One at my natural waist and one at my belly button.

Me too, same story. I have a short torso, so "low rise" is actually waist height for me.