Whats better exercise for losing weight?

fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
Hey Guys,

So right now my routine consists of walking 40 minutes a day at 120 heart rate....on my HRM my burn is about 350 calories. 3 days a week I add in 20 minutes of Strength training.

Now I am a big guy, but have looked into starting the C25K program to get my fatass running.

What do you think is better overall exercise, running or walking? If I finish the program and am able to run solid for 30 minutes you think I would be able to lose more weight and have my overall fitness levels be higher?

Mike

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Thats a great question that people seem to always fight over walking or running.. There are benefits to both and disadvantages.. Everyone knows the disadvantages to running, impact impact impact.. so if you have knee problems, back problems, etc you probably should stick with walking.. the benefit to running is you burn calories quicker and reduce your workout time to reach the total calories you are aiming for (the idea is you can run a mile faster than you can walk a mile) and also you can increase stamina and strengthen your leg muscles.
    I would say if you are in the zone (on your HRM) doing a brisk walk, and you enjoy walking more than running (I dislike running) then keep walking.. but if you want that extra challenge or you find walking isn't getting you into your cardio zone (on your hrm) then step it up into jogging/running if you don't have impact problems.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    I think it depends on whether your most interested in burning calories, cardiovascular health, or both. Walking and running burn almost the exact same calories per mile (100-125), of course walking takes longer. Running (as with any cardio) strengthens your heart. My family drops like flies from heart disease so I do lots and lots of cardio.
  • sugarplumj
    sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
    I just listend to a great podcast about this exact thing today on fat2fitradio.com Show #44 http://www.fat2fitradio.com/2008/10/fat-2-fit-show-44-calories-incalories-out/

it seems (to me) the advantages of running over walking is afterburn and less time required to burn the same amount of calories.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Hey Guys,

So right now my routine consists of walking 40 minutes a day at 120 heart rate....on my HRM my burn is about 350 calories. 3 days a week I add in 20 minutes of Strength training.

Now I am a big guy, but have looked into starting the C25K program to get my fatass running.

What do you think is better overall exercise, running or walking? If I finish the program and am able to run solid for 30 minutes you think I would be able to lose more weight and have my overall fitness levels be higher?

Mike

A great fat burner....HIIT... 3 min warm up, then RUN as FAST as you can make yourself go for 30 secs, then 60 secs walk moderately, keep that interval for 20 mins, then walk mod to cool down, end at the 30 minute mark.

THAT IS A FAT BLASTER!!!
  • fiveohmike
    Hey Guys,

Mike

A great fat burner....HIIT... 3 min warm up, then RUN as FAST as you can make yourself go for 30 secs, then 60 secs walk moderately, keep that interval for 20 mins, then walk mod to cool down, end at the 30 minute mark.

THAT IS A FAT BLASTER!!!

Definitely might try that.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Hey Mike! The c25k does exactly what ANewLucia was talking about! It trains you (at least for the first few weeks anyway) to 'learn to run' in intervals. First week you brisk walk 5 minutes and then alternate 60 second run, 90 second walk for 20 minutes and then 5 min cool down. It's a free app, definitely worth the download!! Good Luck!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    HIIT cardio really will be great - burns fat quick, takes less time than steady state cardio, and also improves cardiovascular health! Start out doing just 5 intervals (which may take you as long as 15-20 min). Allow your heart to recover to the low end and then run as fast as you can for 30-60 sec to get it to the high end. I use my HRM to do intervals and I've noticed a huge improvement. I started out doing 5 intervals in about 16 min. Now I can do 5 intervals in about 10 min. Basically my heart rate recovers much, much quicker!

C25K does start you on intervals, but not HIIT. It's more of a jog/walk, rather than a sprint/walk. Still a great program though!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Hey Guys,

Mike

THAT IS A FAT BLASTER!!!

20 minutes including the resting intervals or 20 minutes of the high intensity intervals?
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Hey Guys,

Mike

THAT IS A FAT BLASTER!!!

20 minutes including the resting intervals or 20 minutes of the high intensity intervals?

Probably 20 min total, start to finish.
  • saral8981
    saral8981 Posts: 65 Member
    [/quote]

THAT IS A FAT BLASTER!!!
    [/quote]

THIS!
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    I tried the c25k routine a couple of weeks ago and after just the first week my right knee was killing me. Now i've heard some trainers say that if you are really overweight that running is not advised, but I've also heard of very heavy people doing it with no apparent problems. I just wanted to point this out to you, because the last thing you want to do is injure yourself trying to run. I have completelty stopped my running and decided to just do the walking/stairmaster for my cardio. It all burns calories and it's alot less stressful on your joints. When I get a little lighter and or stronger joints I plan on starting my running routine again.

The only other thing is I just started the stronglifts 5x5 routine for weightlifting. It is fast and easy and is only 3 days a week. I have already seen muscle gains in the last couple weeks of eating more and having a ton more energy to workout. Before doing this em2wl plan I would workout with weights only half heartedly because I was so weak and tired. But now eating at a small deficit I feel great in the gym and my strenght has really shot up. Good luck and if you feel you can run maybe try it out. If you don't have any joint pain you should be fine.
  • fiveohmike
    Ya I definitely dont want to hurt myself. I had hoped to be at a lower weight at this point, but making a big change in eating habits 6 weeks ago, its taking some time for my body to adjust.

I wanted to be at a lower weight so I could start running.

I am trying to get in enough shape to do Tough Mudder at the end of September. I want to get below 270 before I start running, as thats 40lbs less that my knees have to cope with running.
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    I am a huge proponent of HIIT also! I didnt see results in my body until I started doing 20 minutes of HIIT per workout session. And the wonderful thing about it is that it can be relatable to most cardio workouts. I do 20 minutes of HIIT on an elliptical (*gasp*), then 30 min. of resistance training, then another 10 min of HIIT on a bike. It is killer, but works!
    I think you will see results pretty quickly once you start. I do recommend a HRM, it is easy to push yourself and get your heart rate up pretty high really fast. You need that cool down period in between, and it is good to be able to see how high and low your heart rate is going.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    I would think that since you still weigh quite a bit, it might be better to adapt the HIIT routine to something like an elliptical machine that would reduce the impact on your joints. Or you can even to something similar on a stationary bike.

ETA Just saw morninglilli posted basically the same thing. :)
  • Samysalsa
    Samysalsa Posts: 45
    I alternate. I do not know which is better per say but like everyone said, you can reach your cals burned or distance goal quicker. Usually I use the treadmill and start out at a walking pace (3.0-3.5 mph) to warm up then switch to jogging (or in my case running since i'm not yet used to it) about 4.0-5.0 mph and I go for as long as I can then go back down to 4.0-3.5 when I need a quick breather.

Its different lengths of time every time i switch but thats what i do
  • Fairieluv77
    Fairieluv77 Posts: 95
    Hey Guys,

Mike

THAT IS A FAT BLASTER!!!

This sounds very doable. Thanks! I even found a free HIIT app for Android!
    Hoping the cortisone shot in my foot yesterday allows me to give it a try tomorrow :)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    I see people of all sizes run around here. And many heavier people are doing a better job than I am ! I feel that running is a mind over matter thing. Obviously you want to listen to your body and not injure yourself, but theres days I know I *can* run more but my heart isn't in it. Some days it feels like I never want to stop!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    I see people of all sizes run around here. And many heavier people are doing a better job than I am ! I feel that running is a mind over matter thing. Obviously you want to listen to your body and not injure yourself, but theres days I know I *can* run more but my heart isn't in it. Some days it feels like I never want to stop!

Each lb that you are overweight is 8 on your knees and 10 on your back (as I am finding out building a deck!). I would think you would want to stick to walking (best) or elliptical until you are are healthier weight. Your joints will thank you later in life.