New to group!

Options
Anniel88
Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
Hi everyone!

I just joined MFP this month and am very pleased to find this group for thyroid support! I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and was diagnosed around 15. I do take synthroid and have my levels adjusted periodically. However, my thyroid never really tends to “die down.” My doctors are often shocked at how often I have to increase my meds and I’ve been recommended surgery due to the goiter. I do tend to feel better with diet and exercise, but sometimes I just want to be a “normal” 24-year-old and fall off the wagon.

I’m getting married in October and I’d really like to trim down and feel energized! I'm hopeful that MFP will help keep me focused.

To my hypo contemporaries - What are some ways you motivate yourself through low energy periods?

Replies

• Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just joined MFP this month and am very pleased to find this group for thyroid support! I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and was diagnosed around 15. I do take synthroid and have my levels adjusted periodically. However, my thyroid never really tends to “die down.” My doctors are often shocked at how often I have to increase my meds and I’ve been recommended surgery due to the goiter. I do tend to feel better with diet and exercise, but sometimes I just want to be a “normal” 24-year-old and fall off the wagon.

I’m getting married in October and I’d really like to trim down and feel energized! I'm hopeful that MFP will help keep me focused.

To my hypo contemporaries - What are some ways you motivate yourself through low energy periods?

Hi! How do I motivate myself? I come here and read success stories. That helps me stay motivated enough to keep going. I havn't bee reading them as much as I should lately. My weight loss has been so slow compared to others, and that gets really discouraging. But I try to just keep counting my calories, and doing my work outs. Just keep on keeping on and try not to compare my weight loss to others. I try! That is the key lol.
  • heinrichs21
    heinrichs21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Hi! How do I motivate myself? I come here and read success stories. That helps me stay motivated enough to keep going. I havn't bee reading them as much as I should lately. My weight loss has been so slow compared to others, and that gets really discouraging. But I try to just keep counting my calories, and doing my work outs. Just keep on keeping on and try not to compare my weight loss to others. I try! That is the key lol.

This is what I do as well. It can be hard but when you hear of the success stories you can't help but be apart of that. Even your friends and loved ones cheering you on keeps ya going.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with "keep on keeping on" and trying even if you aren't seeing weight loss.... here's why I believe that is absolutely critical:
    - I think that we GAIN weight because of what we eat and lifestyle - not exercising, eating sugar, junk/fast food, not drinking water, etc.
    - I think that we cannot LOSE weight because of our thyroid, adrenals, metabolism issues.

So, if you get the GAIN under control by eating right and exercising, at some point you will find the key to getting your metabolism leveled out and then you will LOSE the weight. But if we give up because we can't LOSE, the alternative is that we will GAIN!!

I have gone months and months of eating well and exercising and not lost any weight... but I believe I am a work in progress and I refuse to give up -- the good news is that I have not GAINED any weight in a long time!! :smile: