Protein shake after lifting

TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
How soon after lifting do I need to get a protein shake in my body? I live 5 minutes from my gym, can I go home and make my shake or do I need to drink a shake the minute I put my last weight down? Also, is a protein shake after cardio advisable?

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I drink a protein shake after any type of workout, cardio or weights. I usually drink my protein shake within 30 min of working out. I live 5 min from the gym and I have to really let my body come down from workout or I feel like I will puke the shake back up.
  • TiffyChick
    Thanks, Ladyace! : )
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I have it when I get home.. usually in 30-40 mins.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    I'm about 30 mins too.......get home from gym, quick shower then shake. I make mine before hand so mine has settled back down to basically choc milk on ice...mmmmm yum
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
    I read a bunch of articles that it doesn't really matter if you drink it right after or anytime., as long as you are getting protein in the day and meeting your protein goal (or getting close) So don't worry about rushing.. take it whenever you like..
    I see lots of guys (including my boyfriend) drinking protein while at the gym as well.
  • TiffyChick
    Thanks, everyone! It's good to know I don't have to drink a nasty, sludgy protein shake after my workout because it's just been sitting there...waiting...and waiting. LOL ; )
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    What type/brand of shakes do you guys drink?
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    I'm in New Zealand and its locally made here so probably of no help to you. But I made sure it had the smallest list of ingredients and no artificial colorings or sweeteners. Nso you are not paying for "fillers" It's instantised ultrafiltered which I had read was one of the best ones to choose. It honestly tastes just like chocolate milk.