still learning....net calories..

I'm on my second week with a 4 pound weight gain. I'm hanging in there, but find myself second guessing everything I do. I have over 100 pounds to lose and have a visit with a heart DR. in 2 months and I'm ashamed that the weight loss just isn't happening. For 2 weeks I have had my MFP set at my BMR(1700) and I eat some of my exercise calories back.. Do I need to eat them all to net my BMR??? Thanks for any help...

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hey Kimmer,

For sure what you are experiencing is normal. Check out the stick at the top of the group about what to expect when upping your calories, especially if you have had a very low caloric diet for some time.

Your body will take time to reset back to a healthy state and there can be wild fluctuations.

With that said, what we should really do is find your TDEE cut target. This can be done with the scooby calculator.

You should consistently hit your TDEE cut target regardless of Exercise calories.

For me my BMR is now 2514. My TDEE cut target is 3114 and I eat that regardless if I work out or not, as long as my activity level stays in the range I have set.

So you can shoot your numbers if your comfortable with that:

Weight
    What exercise you do during the week

Were here to help! Dont get discourage, it can take 6 weeks to reset your body back straigh.

Also ditch the scale, and start measuring all parts of your body. Your weight may stay relative but you can be losing inches.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    I'm on my second week with a 4 pound weight gain. I'm hanging in there, but find myself second guessing everything I do. I have over 100 pounds to lose and have a visit with a heart DR. in 2 months and I'm ashamed that the weight loss just isn't happening. For 2 weeks I have had my MFP set at my BMR(1700) and I eat some of my exercise calories back.. Do I need to eat them all to net my BMR??? Thanks for any help...

Try using Scooby website and work out your TDEE, BMR and daily calorie needs. once you have your daily calorie needs eat this number and eat that every single day ... on days you workout check the home page and make sure you at least net your BMR. Your TDEE has your exercise already worked into it and so you don't have to worry about it except just hitting cut value number every day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Sing out if you need a hand
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Thanks Mike!

Age 45
    Height 62"
    Weight 244
    Desk job
    Just started lifting routine 3 times a week and 30 min cardio another 2-3 days.. Cardio varies.

Do I do 20% or 15% reduction???

BMR is 1791/TDEE (desk job)2149 20% reduction has me at 1719 and 15% has me at 1827........

So, what do you think??? I REALLY appreciate any help!!!!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Hey Kimmer,

For sure what you are experiencing is normal. Check out the stick at the top of the group about what to expect when upping your calories, especially if you have had a very low caloric diet for some time.

Your body will take time to reset back to a healthy state and there can be wild fluctuations.

With that said, what we should really do is find your TDEE cut target. This can be done with the scooby calculator.

You should consistently hit your TDEE cut target regardless of Exercise calories.

For me my BMR is now 2514. My TDEE cut target is 3114 and I eat that regardless if I work out or not, as long as my activity level stays in the range I have set.

So you can shoot your numbers if your comfortable with that:

Weight
    What exercise you do during the week

Were here to help! Dont get discourage, it can take 6 weeks to reset your body back straigh.

Also ditch the scale, and start measuring all parts of your body. Your weight may stay relative but you can be losing inches.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I've been upping my calories since 4/19 and on my birthday 5/3 I finally upped to my final cut calories. I've gained a few pounds, but I have also lost some inches too!!!!

If you have been doing a low calorie diet plan for a long time it just may take a little longer for your metabolism to reset itself. I'm told it can take anywhere from 4-10 weeks for your body to start releasing that stubborn fat!!!

Hang in there!!! We're are here to help you if ya need it!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Thanks Mike!

Age 45
    Height 62"
    Weight 244
    Desk job
    Just started lifting routine 3 times a week and 30 min cardio another 2-3 days.. Cardio varies.

Do I do 20% or 15% reduction???

BMR is 1791/TDEE (desk job)2149 20% reduction has me at 1719 and 15% has me at 1827........

So, what do you think??? I REALLY appreciate any help!!!!

I would do the 15% cut and I would choose moderately active for your activity. Just because you have a desk job I'm betting you are more active than you give yourself credit for!!!!!!!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    So this Is what I came up with using the Scooby Calc:

BMR = 1800
    TDEE = 2476 (set you as lightly active because your getting about 2 hours of exercise a week)

I would start with a TDEE - 15% cut for the first 6 weeks to see how it goes and adjust from there

So with that:

TDEE cut target = 2104.6 - Hit this number day in and day out regardless if you workout or not (as long as you are getting in the workouts you say). Also I would recommend setting your macros to 40% Carbs, 30% protein, 30%fat

Remember about activity levels. Sedentary is NO exercise per week. You need to be honest about your activity levels and never go below your BMR.

This whole thing boils down to consistency and getting over the hump of the first month or two, during which you are resetting your metabolism. This is not a quick fix diet, but a healthy way to live the rest of your life.

Also start measuring yourself. Arms, legs, belly, hips chest neck ect. You may not lose much in the beginning during the metabolism reset, however you will see inches come off.

Mike
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Thanks everyone... I can't say I'm shedding any tears on bumping my calories up more... :) I will keep you all up to date!!