It's been a month... why am I still tired?

Options
Hey guys! I increased my calories from 1400 to 1650 about a month ago, once I realized my BMR is 1600 and that I had not been eating enough for pretty much four months. Before that, (over Christmas holidays) I was basically off my diet and gained several pounds, but prior to the holidays I was eating about 1200 calories every day for 11 months.

I realize my metabolism is probably really confused, and I've read about the "Step 5" fatigue, but I've been feeling tired now for almost a month combined with over the past 2 weeks of having some sort of cold/allergies thing going on (aka a lot of extra snot haha). I have been working out moderately and sporadically (at best) over the last three weeks. Last week I rested, and this week I've just been taking long walks (and eat back the calories I burn... it's accurate, I use RunKeeper.)

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to feel more like my old self? :/

Replies

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You could try eating your cut value instead of just above your bmr .... more fuel=less tired?

Normally they say get your TDEE -15% and eat that everyday. making sure you net your bmr on high burn workout days.

there things might be
    Water intake?
    What have you set your macros at?
    How are you sleeping?

here is a link to a thread that sounds like might help?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/604089-patterns-emerging-for-hunger-satiety-energy-and-fatigue
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, especially if you are not eating back your exercise calories.

BMR is what your body needs just to function if you were in a coma in bed all day.

If you are walking around, working ect you will need more than your BMR to fuel. Bump them calories up to TDEE-15%, give it a couple weeks and see how you feel :)
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Alright, thanks for the help guys! I'll try changing my target to TDEE-15%. I just calculated it, and that's another 200 calories I should be eating. Hopefully this helps!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    i agree that you probably needed to up those calories. I found that in the beginning all I did was go from exhausted to tired, not much of an improvement. Then Lucia told me I was still exercising too much for the calories I was eating so I lowered the exercise and kept my calories the same. I was just starting to feel this huge burst of energy about 2 days before TOM showed up and squashed it...lol. I can't wait to get that feeling back after TOM leaves!!