yoga

random_20
random_20 Posts: 41 Member
does yoga, pilates etc count as strength training or cardio, my gym has fitness on request and i want to try their classes i'm just not sure what to consider them.

thanks

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    I count it as cardio unless through either body weight or athletic ability, the effort comes in above 50% max effort for you.

If you can stand on one leg for an hour easy and they have you do it for three minutes- then it's not very tough for you.
    If you can stand on one leg for ten seconds and they want a minute- that's difficult.
    Just exaggerated examples, of course.

It also depends on the type of Yoga- some are fast and definitely cardio-based, others are about slow breathing and long poses (much closer to bodyweight weight lifting).

This isn't official EM2WL- it's just how I do it
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    I do both Yoga and Pilates and highly recommend both for what they can do for your body and mind!

I wear a HRM and neither of these are "high burners"~ I'm 5'0", 200 lbs and burn somewhere around 200-240 cals for an hour.

I do them for the overall feeling of Well-being and core-toning.

Again, I would still recommend both to nicely round out your workouts.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    I personally think that yoga is in a class all its own--not really cardio or strength training. It depends on the type of yoga, I think. IMO, yoga is great more so for gaining strength and flexibility, but I also do some yoga that really gets my heart rate going...

I do know one thing, for sure--yoga is a wonderful stress reliever for me, and I couldn't imagine not incorporating it into my overall fitness regime :love:
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    I have been doing very vigorous Baptiste yoga 3x a week for a couple of years. I sweat a ton, and can totally tell the difference in my strength but was shocked to see that I actually burn VERY few calories (according to my BodyMediaFit) for as strenuous as it seems. I think the practice of breathing through the stress of the pose keeps the burn down. But I cannot consider it cardio or strength training, I actually consider it stretching and do it on one of my rest days and combine it with a run day too for my after stretch.

I think the mind balancing benefit of yoga is by far the greatest benefit! Most of us in my yoga class are 'type a' personalities and if allowed, our minds would run away with us! Yoga calms me to keep things in check...even if I can't count it as cardio or strength training.