Calorie confusion for a triathlete

snats24
snats24 Posts: 2 Member
Hi

I'm so glad I found this group!

So here's my question - I'm training for a middle distance triathlon (1.2mile swim, 50mile cycle, 13 mile run) in September and have some weight to shed before then (lighter = faster and not as wobbly in a trisuit!).
I've been cutting my cals to approx 1500 a day (1200 net after ex) and lost a couple of pounds but my training has suffered as I've been weak and hungry so I'm clearly not eating enough.
I'm eating approx 30% protein over 6 meals a day and ditched the junk, which has helped but I'm confused about my ideal calorie intake.

Following the advice on here, Scooby says my BMR is 1388 and my TDEE is 2151 (moderate ex - I train a lot but it's not intense and I have a desk job)
Everything I've read says lift weights, do minimal cardio and I do lift twice a week but I also have to do 8 - 10 hours of swimming, cycling and running to prep for my race.

So how do I do that and lose weight?

Please help!

Many thanks

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Hi

I'm so glad I found this group!

So here's my question - I'm training for a middle distance triathlon (1.2mile swim, 50mile cycle, 13 mile run) in September and have some weight to shed before then (lighter = faster and not as wobbly in a trisuit!).
    I've been cutting my cals to approx 1500 a day (1200 net after ex) and lost a couple of pounds but my training has suffered as I've been weak and hungry so I'm clearly not eating enough.
    I'm eating approx 30% protein over 6 meals a day and ditched the junk, which has helped but I'm confused about my ideal calorie intake.

Following the advice on here, Scooby says my BMR is 1388 and my TDEE is 2151 (moderate ex - I train a lot but it's not intense and I have a desk job)
    Everything I've read says lift weights, do minimal cardio and I do lift twice a week but I also have to do 8 - 10 hours of swimming, cycling and running to prep for my race.

So how do I do that and lose weight?

Please help!

Many thanks

EAT lots of food:flowerforyou:

You are not moderate. You must recalc and input the number of hours you are working out. You sound like the highest activity level. Eat 15% of that tdee and net your bmr on training days. It will be a lot of food but your body will burn it up.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Triathlons rule, congrats! I've only done sprints but would love to work up to an Olympic next!

I have a desk job but play roller derby, run, bike, and do bootcamp/weights most days of the week and Lucia made me put mine one step up from moderate, too. :)