measurements. specific for men

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
I think I'm starting a new phase... 35lb lost since july-but starting to be concerned about lost muscle mass. I still feel 'fat' but realistically parts of me are too thin, so I joined a gym-PT session today, if al goes well. My question is, should I be keeping measurements and if so, WHICH ONES? thx

Replies

• mrincredible93
    Options
    You definitely need to take take baseline measurements when you start to find out whether what you are doing is having any positive impact. Every good gym will have staff on hand who can help you with this. They should be able to do a preliminary BMI in addition to logging in actual muscle size in inches. A gym professional will be able to tell you all the right ones to measure but it should include at least your waist, thigh, bicep, chest and neck (height & weight are no-brainers). I personally think that on men a chest to waist ratio is important.
  • jerber160
    Options
    HOW DO Y'ALL FEEL ABOUT CALIPERS? i THINK I SHOULD BE USING SOMETHING OTHER THAN MY HAND TO GRAB MY FAT......WAS ALWAYS ANTI-CALIPER.. NOW I'M GONNA SPEND THE MONEY N SOME...
  • jerber160
    Options
    i did it. i ordered calipers from amazon... damn....i am NOT obsessed...I'm not...obsession would be needing them NOW and payin $18.50 for them at gnc..
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather just measure my shrinking waistline.
  • jerber160
    Options
    I'd much rather just measure my shrinking waistline.
    [/IT'S NOT ENOUGH. i'm do a 33 pant and still FAT,,, some is loose skin I'm sure but there's fat there...hanging over the belt...thighs...calipers r us]
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've kept my neck, chest and waist measurements since I started this process and I usually take the measurements once a month or if I perceive a change.

I have noticed that my guns are a lot firmer than this time last year (when they were covered in layers of FAT) and Jem noticed my calves and thighs were a lot tighter way back when I first started cycling more. :wink:

By BF% is calculated by my body analyser scales - I know it's only a guestimate based on an electric current, but I can see the fat round my middle and my moobs,so I know where it is :frown:
  • jerber160
    Options
    they came. now what do I do??
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Buggered if I know... did they not come with instructions? I'm guessing you pinch your inch and measure it with the callipers and the calibration will tell you your BF%??? :ohwell:
  • jerber160
    Options
    Buggered if I know... did they not come with instructions? I'm guessing you pinch your inch and measure it with the callipers and the calibration will tell you your BF%??? :ohwell:
    gladly it's only about an inch.. some places inchandahalf.. others inchandaquarters.. dealing...
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was sort of expecting different discussion on measurements lol!!!
  • Tripaway
    Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    haha, I was too! That's one thing I'd be interested in trying out, personally. I hear that as your FUPA decreases you gain a bit more length - obviously not a ton that would put you in some big boy's club, but enough to give you that slight bit of confidence in being just above average, haha. I've read about it and have just been to lazy to give it a try.
  • bstewart1973
    bstewart1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    LOL, I can definitely tell you you FUPA cuts down on length. I wish I could figure out how to decrease that specifically. I guess it just goes along with all of the other fat. Just keeps me in the little boy's club.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    No, not what you think. :D

Decided to do a 7-Site Skin Fold Caliper Test. With my imperfect caliper technique, results show 17.93% Body Fat. At my current weight, 187.9 lbs, that is 33.7 lbs body fat and a lean body weight of 154.3 lbs... almost exactly the same lean body mass as 32 lbs ago. i.e. All my lose is fat lose.

Assuming I maintain the 'fat only' lose goal. My Body Fat % at various weights will be:

185 lbs - 16.6% (current goal)
    180 lbs - 14.3% (secondary goal)
    175 lbs - 11.8% (tertiary goal)
    170 lbs - 9.2% (only dreaming)
    165 lbs - 6.5% (pipe dreaming)

No date goals. It happens when and if.