A LOL thread from the main forums

fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
Another one that makes me feel bad for people who eat 1200 or less cals a day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/609152-anyone-on-1200kcals-a-day

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    wow....

what's with the douche that said this.....

"Anyone who gives you any strong, immediate opinions on this - is probably just uninformed."

.....and then proceeded to give her a whole listing of strong (and amazingly stupid) opinions.

ok, back to real life. no time to read all that douchebaggery. i have a work deadline.

:)
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    wow....

"Anyone who gives you any strong, immediate opinions on this - is probably just uninformed."

.....and then proceeded to give her a whole listing of strong (and amazingly stupid) opinions.

ok, back to real life. not time to read all that douchebaggery. i have a work deadline.

yeah, that 'douchebaggery' made my jaw drop too!! So, so sad. :(
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    very sad indeed. So much misinformation out there. But the truth is, people wasn't a quick fix. They're panicking, and willing to take drastic measures to get their lives back.. I've been there, because I needed the momentum behind me of losing weight quickly. It wasn't the right way, and I really regret it now for what its since to my metabolism. But at the same time, I don't knew if I would have held oh this, long if I was losing .5 lb a week. I am so glad I've seen the light. I have a long way to go but feel like found so much healing!
  • fiveohmike
    very sad indeed. So much misinformation out there. But the truth is, people wasn't a quick fix. They're panicking, and willing to take drastic measures to get their lives back.. I've been there, because I needed the momentum behind me of losing weight quickly. It wasn't the right way, and I really regret it now for what its since to my metabolism. But at the same time, I don't knew if I would have held oh this, long if I was losing .5 lb a week. I am so glad I've seen the light. I have a long way to go but feel like found so much healing!

Its definitive tough. I have a total of 110+ pounds to lose, down 22...slower than I like, but than I read threads like that and it re-invigorates me. I dont want to starve. Those people tell me I need to eat less when I hit a wall...I say why? I am not gaining weight, and eventually the weight will come off...maybe not 3-5lbs a week....but .5 to 1lb a week...which I am ok with because I can sustain it for the rest of my life.

It took 10 years to pack this fat on....its gonna take a while to get it off....and KEEP it off.
  • Zylayna
    it's funny, we look at the main forums now and can't believe what we see people telling each other on there, but you are right momofmyfivekids....most of us were there, listening to that advice, believing that advice, maybe even giving that advice, because we didn't know it was wrong.

It just makes me sad to know that there are still so many who believe in it.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    I thought this would be a support group to help people like me eat more but seems everyone here wants to make fun and is judgemental. I am trying to increase mine calories and I need support and encouragement and I find what you posted not encouraging but laughing at people. It is not so easy to change ones ways
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    wow....

ok, back to real life. no time to read all that douchebaggery. i have a work deadline.

I thought the same exact thing! Pot, meet Kettle.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    I thought this would be a support group to help people like me eat more but seems everyone here wants to make fun and is judgemental. I am trying to increase mine calories and I need support and encouragement and I find what you posted not encouraging but laughing at people. It is not so easy to change ones ways

I'm sorry you feel that way. When I read it I was sad for these people. Moreover that used to be me, and it makes me even more sad.

You're right it's not easy to change your ways, and belonging to this group will help. I think we are more in shock that people still have these thought processes going on.
  • Zylayna

I'm sorry if we came off that way. Please don't be offended. In all honesty I think we are all just relieved that we no longer believe in that way of life any more and (being human) we tend to make jokes about things that are equivalent to bad memories. (and believe me, my memories of my former weight loss routine is very, very bad)

We are all trying to support each other. We are all in the same boat. We are just human beings who don't always get it right.
  • fiveohmike

My reference was not so much to the original poster, but the advice given by people. I apologize sincerely as I am not trying to offend. I have issues with the advice that people give to the original poster. One person even saying she was eating to much.

To be honest is very sad. I want people to live life, enjoy life, eat food and be healthy. Losing weight does not, and should not be a massive struggle with 1) Starving yourself 2) Being miserable and 3) Having to get advice from all sorts of misinformed people.

With that, this is the choice I have made in my life and I want other people to make the same choice, for their benefit. But when I see responses like "Eat 500 calories and inject pregnancy hormones" my first response is to chuckle out of disbelief.

Once I again I apologize for the offense, I was not poking fun at the original poster.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member

no, dear. seriously. read around the forum. this place is crazy supportive. but it can definitely be frustrating reading some of the misinformation out there. and it can be even more frustrating when you try to inform folks on the main forums about what we are doing here. we sound crazy to them just like they sound crazy to us, lol.

welcome to the group. hope you stick around.
  • gatorginger
    Thanks for all your concern. I know I am eating under and I want to eat more and all the information out there is a bit confusing. I do very moderate exercise by only walking 25 minutes 4 days a week and I just started jumping rope but only for 2 minutes. For years I skipped meals and I am not the healthiest eater as I don't like that many veggies however I love fruit. So when I started this my goal is to try to eat healthier and lose weight. I don't need to lose much now as I've already lost 17 pounds so what I want to do now is try to eat more without gaining that back.

Before reading this post I had read another one that said because I was eating under I wouldn't find much support in here so then I read your post and it seemed what she was saying was true.

I really appreciate the support and encouragement
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    I saw a reference in another thread that called EM2LW members "the good guys" This thread is just another example of that. I love how you all apologized if you offended anyone and nicely explained that was not at all your intention. On the main boards there are so many negative comments, derogatory remarks, and general nastiness it seems anytime to disagree with someone or dare to say anything different. It's a very sad place to try to find support. I'm glad to know all of you "good guys"
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member

I'm sorry if you are offended, but I didn't take as anyone making fun of anyone. I will tell you that this is one of the most supportive groups I have had the privilege to be a part of and they are always willing to lend a helping hand. :drinker:

I do find it mind boggling how people get so obsessed with weightloss that they will jeopardize their health for the sake of vanity!!!!!! Again I'm sorry if you were offended, but I don't think anyone here meant to offend you or anyone else for that matter!!! :flowerforyou:

Welcome aboard and If you have any questions just me know!!!
    Anita
  • fiveohmike
    Thanks for all your concern. I know I am eating under and I want to eat more and all the information out there is a bit confusing. I do very moderate exercise by only walking 25 minutes 4 days a week and I just started jumping rope but only for 2 minutes. For years I skipped meals and I am not the healthiest eater as I don't like that many veggies however I love fruit. So when I started this my goal is to try to eat healthier and lose weight. I don't need to lose much now as I've already lost 17 pounds so what I want to do now is try to eat more without gaining that back.

Before reading this post I had read another one that said because I was eating under I wouldn't find much support in here so then I read your post and it seemed what she was saying was true.

Heh ya...trust me I know how scary it is trying to eat more, i was just at my witts end of yo-yo diets.

Imagine this...eating 1200-1300 calories a day....than finding out your actually supposed to be eating 3200 calories a day to LOSE weight...it rocked my world but this group helped me through it for the better.

If your like me, I researched EVERYTHING I could on the subject, especially during fluctuations and found the information I need to make an informed decision to start here.

I also found I liked the people, and made it so I will try to give everyone the most encouragement I can to get through this.

People really need to understand eating more to lose weight is a LONG term lifestyle change. There will be bumps in the process, things that make you question what you are doing.

This process requires more determination than any other diet I can think of, because not only do you have to deal with your own fears that society has put into our heads (eating 1200 calories or less), you have to deal with other people who believe that its the only way.

Its actually harder for people who have come from long term VLCD diets (1200 calories or less) because you need a while for a metabolism rest. You might see weight gain, huge fluctuation, ect. That the big jump to get over. But once over, you life will be changed forever.

Before this my original goal was to lose 100lbs in 50 weeks (2lbs a week). However I am now shooting for .5 - 1lb a week, and I am ok with it.

It took 10 years to get my *kitten* fat, its gonna take a while to get it all off.
  • fiveohmike
    And I am a really nice, encouraging person ( a bit cocky, but it come with the territory heh).....well unless you try and eat my food >.<
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member

Honestly this is the most supportive forum I have ever experienced. We ALL have experienced eating too little for too long and are trying to get our bodies back to happy.

WELCOME

I encourage you to read the posts on what to expect. It really takes a while to get used to the idea of eating more because it is so anti-culture!!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member

Definitely stick around - this is a very supportive place. Everyone is very happy to answer questions and provide support.

I think someone hit the nail on the head when it was said that humor is how we deal with our own memories of such low cal weight loss attempts.

I restrained myself repeatedly from posting while reading through this thread. It made me so sad. Also, someone posted that they have a sluggish thyroid and couldn't possibly eat more. No no no no...so not true!!! I'm hypothyroid and while I still have doubt and struggle with the fact that I'd like to lose a bit faster, I KNOW that eating less will only make my metabolism that much more sluggish. If anything, people who are hypothyroid NEED to go this route in order to lose weight and help metabolism in any and every possible way. I have never had so much energy in my life. I think there's such a back and forth relationship between nutrition, metabolism, and hormones that I have often wondered if my lifelong weight struggles and low cal dieting possibly caused my hypothyroidism as well as my period of infertility. I'll never know that for sure. But reading that thread made me so sad. How many women are likely destroying their metabolism as well as hormone balances and fertility by following such advice. And only to gain it back when 1200 cals or less becomes just too hard to maintain? I've been a yo yo all my life - I WISH someone had given me this information when I was in my early twenties. I had no idea that what I was doing was wrong. If anything, I felt like there was something wrong with me for not being able to stay under my calories all the time.

It's a very sad way to live. I try to shout about EM2WL "from the rooftops" as often as I get the opportunity, but many people just don't want to hear it.
  • Zylayna

There are many in here that still aren't quite hitting their proper target calories...it's a hard road to recovery and as you read around you see all kinds of people hitting the wall, binge eating, going back to old habits only to return again because they know in their hearts that EMTWL is true. We are a community of people helping each other, encouraging each other and yes, we will tell you to eat more when you aren't eating enough. That's what we do. :smile: That's how we support. By giving you permission to EAT MORE! :tongue: If we are to keep each other accountable we must address too low cal deficits when we see them just as the other forums will address 'too high cals' when they see them. We just try to do it as nicely as possible because we KNOW it's not easy. :flowerforyou:
  • gatorginger
    :} thanks